PDA

View Full Version : Wood I D please

Jerry Marcantel
05-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I just returned from my rock run trip up into Missouri. While there, I was given permission to take down a dead tree that was about 12' tall, at least 36" od, completely burled, spalted, solid and has what looks like ambrosia beetle stains. I ended up with about 7' of the tree, but without leaves or bark, it's mystery wood to me. Here are some pictures of half of what I brought home while the other half is residing in Branson, Missouri, awaiting my return one of these days. I'm completely ignorant of eastern/midwestern trees, but at least know if it's gonna yeild pretty wood. Also included is a piece of Black Walnut crotch 14" od well before the crotch x 30" long and an Oak burl thing, about 12 x 16" round x 12" tall that is solid except for a grapefruit size hole in the center. When I was cutting the oak, I thought I cut into an animal because of a strange "plooch" sound and a bunch of red liquid poured out through the cut and all over the bar of the borrowed chainsaw. I thought I was gonna hurl..... Hehehe....... This wood was given because of the tornado damage near Branson in April.... If anyone would like some wood from Missouri, I can get you the person's address that owns the property, and if there is any left, you could probably take all you can haul.

Here is a finished piece of the burl wood. Bowl is 11" od and 2 1/2" tall with 5/16 thickness. Finished with olive oil. I'm guessing it's Maple, but don't know if they grow in Sothern Mo.. Any help will be appreciated. I know this, it's the prettiest wood I have gotten so far... ....... Jerry (in Tucson)
233017 More pics of bowl.... 233033233034233035.

John Keeton
05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
My guess would be silver maple, Jerry, but whatever it is - you have some VERY nice stuff!!

Baxter Smith
05-27-2012, 10:36 PM
That wood looks like it was worth the trip Jerry! Great looking stuff whatever it is!

Jerry Marcantel
05-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks John, I added a few more pics....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Kelvin Burton
05-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Jerry, I'd say the bowl alone was worth the trip! That is an extraordinary piece! Was there another burl like that left behind? Might be worth the 450 mile trip from here to go retrieve it!! :D

Pat Scott
05-28-2012, 8:50 AM
NEVER use Olive Oil or any cooking oil as a finish, it can go rancid.

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2012, 10:22 AM
No idea on the wood... but that burl is some amazing stuff!! Beautiful bowl!!

Jeremy Leasure
05-28-2012, 10:58 AM
That's some pretty amazing wood. I'm close enough to Branson I could make a road trip and make sure the rest of it stays safe if you'd like.

charlie knighton
05-28-2012, 1:10 PM
pretty stuff Jerry, sounds like you had a good trip

William Bachtel
05-28-2012, 4:14 PM
I wood have to say Walnut, bark is Walnut, Sap is Walnut, and heartwood is Walnut. Nice.

Jim Burr
05-28-2012, 4:23 PM
Wowza!!!! You can send all of that west...I'll run in by the forest service office and see what they say!

Reed Gray
05-28-2012, 5:08 PM
My first thought was walnut as well. I have never seen silver maple with that dark brown color in it. Green streaks, brown streaks, but lots of cream and white. If it is walnut, it will have a strong spicy scent.

Nice score.

robo hippy

John Keeton
05-28-2012, 8:08 PM
I may be wrong, but I think Jerry was showing the walnut log in his first pic being identified as walnut. I understood he was looking for ID on the pile of burled wood that appears to be partially spalted.

Jerry Marcantel
05-28-2012, 9:35 PM
I may be wrong, but I think Jerry was showing the walnut log in his first pic being identified as walnut. I understood he was looking for ID on the pile of burled wood that appears to be partially spalted.

You are absolutely correct, John. I'm trying to ID the burled wood. I am leaning towards maple. The color comes from the olive oil I put on it.......
Thanks for the compliments on the wood. I just wish I knew what it was.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry Marcantel
05-28-2012, 9:44 PM
That wood looks like it was worth the trip Jerry! Great looking stuff whatever it is!
You ain't seen the rock yet, Baxter.... It's a lot prettier than the wood. Because of the wood, I had to reduce my rock load cuz I was almost at the overload point on my poor old half ton truck before gathering the rock in Oregon... ..... Jerry (in Tucson)