PDA

View Full Version : adirondack chair seat height

joe smith
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I am going to build a oair of these chairs for my parents for their birthdays. my father uses an oxygen tank and has strength issues. so i need to raise the seat height to ease being able to get out of the chairs. I havent found anyone that has done this . Are there any structural problems with doing it that im not seeing for example in the jakes chair plans?

Sam Murdoch
05-27-2012, 1:12 PM
I think the real problem in this case might be that the seat of an Adirondack chair drops in the back and/or rises to the front. This is a big factor as to why this chair style is so comfortable, but it is a chair that requires you to push yourself up and out. That could be difficult for your Father. Raising the seat should not be an issue but maybe more to the point would be to flatten it out front to back - you'd be "evolving" the design. As for raising the seat - just extend the legs or add blocks to the underside. The blocks could be square to the ground rather than running the front legs out longer by continuing the slope (which would make the footprint too long). Hope this helps.

Will be great presents.

joe smith
05-27-2012, 1:32 PM
I guess thats what i was thinking. raise the rear portion of the seat to a point closer to level with the front and may also raise the eniter height of the seat kind of a cross breed between and adirondack and a square Morris chair.