PDA

View Full Version : Union 5A??

steven c newman
05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Described as a Stanley-Union 5A, 5-1/2 Jack plane. Just won it on the "bay". Looking for any info on these planes. Maybe a "good" deal @$21??:confused: Should be here next weekend, short shipping week. I do have a Union #4G in the shop, and like it a lot. Waiting to see IF it's big brother will also work out....

Jim Koepke
05-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I did a quick search on ebay and couldn't find it in the completed listings.

Can you supply an auction number or some pictures?

Stanley bought Union Plane Co. in 1920 and produced the Union line for a period after that.

jtk

Joe Bailey
05-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I did a quick search on ebay and couldn't find it in the completed listings.

Can you supply an auction number or some pictures?

Stanley bought Union Plane Co. in 1920 and produced the Union line for a period after that.

jtk

This is apparently it, Jim:

Sam Takeuchi
05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Check the corner of the mouth on close up picture (5th one). There might be faint crack there. Or just because picture is bit fuzzy. I know description says there is no crack, but I don't know, I see faint dark line running from the corner to the side.

steven c newman
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
One corner of the mouth was filed, looks like. Will take a look once the plane gets here. Trying to find out if this is a Stanley made, or still a Union made plane. Might change how I rehab it back to a user plane. I do seem to like rehabbing planes, though....

Jim Koepke
05-27-2012, 1:04 PM
In my opinion, and only my opinion, this plane looks to be made by the Union Mfg. Co. prior to 1917 when the Union Plane Co. was spun off. Stanley bought Union Plane Co. in 1920.

Often seen on ebay is to include words like Stanley in a description or listing to get a few more eyes.

There may be more information on line now to help determine the production dates of Union planes.

My only real experience with a Union Mfg. plane was that it was every bit as good as a Stanley and some might like the thicker blade.

One came to me by way of my ancestry. One of my brothers cares for many of the family heirlooms so this one was presented to him to hold. It had a very short blade and I didn't want to change it to alter its heritage.

The tote and knob are mahogany if my memory is working. Union lateral levers are a bit too skimpy for my liking.

Looks like you may have found a good deal.

jtk

Jim Koepke
05-27-2012, 1:10 PM
I do seem to like rehabbing planes, though....

Careful, it can become habit forming. DAMHIKT!

It can save a lot of money when putting together an accumulation of tools.

It can also be profitable under the right circumstances.

jtk

Sam Takeuchi
05-27-2012, 1:19 PM
Yeah I know it's filed, faint dark line I see is from the tip of that filed edge to the side. If you find a crack, you can rightfully demand money back if you don't like it as description says there is none. If you don't mind, I think that's fine.

I'm not too familiar with the Union planes, but I think that's earlier Union plane. If I remember right, later one had "UNION" logo on the lever cap. I'm not even sure if Stanley made planes for Union as Union was often making planes for other companies at that time as well. I know that Stanley offered Union brand plane after acquisition, but I thought it was to finish off the Union inventory. I may be off the mark, but I'm with Jim, I believe that is a Union made.

Andrae Covington
05-27-2012, 2:16 PM
I'm not too familiar with the Union planes, but I think that's earlier Union plane...

I think so too. Walt Quadrato has a page about Union plane frogs (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm). He shows three different eras of frog designs. What I see in the auction photos looks like a combination of the "early" and "mid-era" versions. Definitely not the "late" post-Stanley-buyout version. The lateral adjustment lever has the washer above the pivot point like the "early" design. But the curves and depressions of the frog look like the "mid" design.

On another page there is some general history of Union (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/museum/union%207/union%20x%207.html). They started in 1866, but didn't begin manufacturing "Bailey" planes until 1903. As others have noted, Stanley bought the company in 1920. So the transition from "early" to "mid" frog designs happened in a relatively short span of years. I would roughly guess the plane dates from 1910-1915.

steven c newman
05-29-2012, 7:12 PM
Plane should be here this thursday. I'll go over it, and check things out. MIGHT need a good cleaning, first. And, yes, I'll take a few photos of the whole thing. Stay tuned......

Alan Schwabacher
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
It took me a while to figure out why my 5 1/2 sized Union was my favorite plane. It's the tote, which fits my hand better than any of the others.

steven c newman
05-31-2012, 5:52 PM
Plane has finally arrived! The only damaged I've found was as advertised, to the horn of the tote. otherwise, a fine looking old plane. A few photos, before a clean-up ( as needed, this will be a user)233367233368233369233370and a look at the whole thing put back together233371Early, or middle production run? Wood will get a re-finish. Not much left of the black stuff, paint shop coming up.

Jim Koepke
06-01-2012, 2:41 AM
Early, or middle production run?

What is the wording on the blade?

jtk

Jim Koepke
06-01-2012, 3:04 AM
Just looking at an old Union Mfg. Co. catalog is interesting. One of the plane illustrations shows a plane with a notice of patent dated October 22, 1889.

Both patents issued on that date relating to planes were to the Birmingham Plane co.

I wonder if they made planes for Union.

jtk

Michael Ray Smith
06-01-2012, 8:22 AM
I have a No. 6 Union (with the early style frog shown here http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm). (My next door neighbor practically gave it to me. Apparently my neighbor's dad acquired it when he taught a high school shop class. I think I paid him $10 for it and one of the cheapo blue 1960s Stanleys that I sold for a couple of bucks to some sucker, uh, buyer on the bay.) I cleaned it up and now use it as my jointer. Figured it was worth more to me as a user than it would be to anyone else. The blade is a DR Barton replacement, so I can't say anything about Union blades. My only complaint is that it has a lot of play in the depth adjustment knob, and even that's just a minor annoyance. If mine is any indication, you'll be quite happy with yours.

steven c newman
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Union Mfg Co. New Britain CT Behind the tote is a UNION No. 5A. Wood is NOT rosewood. It does start with an "M' for the wood. Depth adjustor has zero slop, none. Lever cap also has no markings. As for the frog ( after a soak and clean-up)233397233398 and that lever cap233399233400sole is looking better, as well ( Look Ma, no cracks)233401233402 Not too ugly, is it???

Michael Ray Smith
06-01-2012, 1:56 PM
That's a keeper!

Jim Koepke
06-01-2012, 3:27 PM
Looks good.

You will now have a problem that is similar to mine.

This lateral adjustment will move the blade to the side the adjuster is moved. On later planes like a Stanley the blade moves opposite of the lateral adjuster.

On Stanley/Bailey planes before late type 6 the depth adjustment is to the left for a deeper cut. Late type 6 and later it is to the right to lower your blade.

If my memory is correct, the early Union Mfg. planes may have also turned to the left to lower the blade.

After a while, you will just get to know how to adjust the plane in your hand at the time.

jtk

Michael Ray Smith
06-01-2012, 5:38 PM
If my memory is correct, the early Union Mfg. planes may have also turned to the left to lower the blade.

After a while, you will just get to know how to adjust the plane in your hand at the time.

jtk

Jim's right on both points: (1) The depth adjustment knob on my No. 6 Union has right-hand threads, which means you turn to the left to advance the blade. Your 5A is probably the same. (2) I'm so used to it now that I had to stop and think about it.

steven c newman
06-01-2012, 6:05 PM
Yep, right hand threads. I got the iron almost scary sharped back up. It has just a hint of camber. Taking it out to the "Barn" tonight, to strip what is left of the old paint, and re-paint things back up. Looks like a keeper....