PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 5/4 tongue & goove porch flooring near Central Vermont

Jim N Burke
05-26-2012, 9:44 PM
I need to replace the floor on our porch - covered but not enclosed. It has 5/4 x 4 tongue and groove ably fir. I'd like to find lengths near 6' intervals as the porch is only 6 feet deep and supported at each end and middle - random lengths are problematic. We will paint it so we aren't looking for anything fancy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

phil harold
05-26-2012, 11:36 PM
I would assume if you went to the local lumber yard they could get it for you
be advised it is expensive
http://www.dougfirflooring.com/index.php/douglas-fir-porch-decking/porch-decking-5-4-4.html

there is some composites made to mimic dfir porch flooring

I would also wood preserve the whole board before installation and then paint at a later date

Dennis Ford
05-27-2012, 7:31 AM
You might consider buying 5/4 treated pine decking and milling the tongue / groove yourself. This would be a lot of work and might not be worth the trouble but would be possible with just a router table.

Mark Rakestraw
05-27-2012, 7:37 AM
Your choice of flooring is a good one and, as Phil states, your local lumber yard can no doubt get it for you. A cautionary "don't do what I did" tale: I cheaped out and bought the 4/4 instead of the 5/4 and I saved a couple hundred dollars. But it bothers me every time I walk up to the porch. It looks wrong, and I wonder to myself how long it will be before I have to prop up the roof and replace it.
Mark

Craig Michael
05-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Try Lacillade in williston, vt. I purchased some vertical grain fir beadboard from there a few years ago for a relatives house in vt. Excellent quality and price.

Jamie Buxton
05-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Can't help you with local sources for flooring. But I can observe that the price of vertical grain doug fir lumber has increased a great deal in the past couple of decades. In my dealers, it is now $7 or so per board foot, while maple and oak are in the $4 area.