PDA

View Full Version : RenWax...

Steve Vaughan
05-26-2012, 7:49 PM
I've recently purchased the Ren Wax to start using, but I'm having trouble. I'm padding a small amount on, then pretty quickly buffing with a soft rag. Even after buffing on a lamb's wool (fake) on the lathe, I'm still seeing splotches after I buff. It's not the finish, and the finish is plenty smooth and it's not buffing through the finish, it's intact. Am I not doing something right? There's gotta be a tip out there I'm missing.

Jon Lanier
05-26-2012, 9:21 PM
What I do is apply the Ren Wax while on the lathe as a final step: Turn off lathe, apply wax, wait about 30 seconds. Turn on machine take a tightly wadded up old white tee shirt that that was cut up. And buff the pen/wax. Done in 1 minute for waxing a pen.

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I pretty much do like Jon. I apply the wax with a soft t-shirt piece. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and then buff it on my beall buff. If I do it on the lathe I also let it sit for a minute or two after I apply it and then kick the lathe speed up to about 1500 rpm and buff with a small piece of t-shirt.

Thomas Canfield
05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
The buffing wheel for RenWax should be a softer wheel used only for RenWax. I usually apply a thin coat using a small piece of Bounty paper towl, let sit, and then do a buff with wheel at about 1200 rpm, 2/3 speed of tripoli buff, for big wheel and also slow down a bowl buff or smaller wheel. I also usually apply at least 4 coats of a danish oil type/poly urethane varnish wipe on/off finish that has each coat buffed with tripoli. That makes a super smooth and good feeling finish with soft luster, not high gloss.

Jim Burr
05-26-2012, 11:07 PM
In a rare case having read the directions...they say to wait for a minute to allow the coat to dry then buff. Seems to work good when I do it that way.

Steve Vaughan
05-27-2012, 8:23 AM
Ah Jim, you may have hit the point...being a guy, directions sometimes comes as a last resort. Thanks everyone, not leaving it on there 'quite' long enough just could be the whole issue. Thanks!

Barry Elder
05-27-2012, 8:24 AM
Splotches probably have nothing to do with the Renwax.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I always apply the Ren wax by hand and have found that if I wait too long - then I have to use a little more elbow grease to remove any ridges the wax causes. If I apply the wax and wipe off almost immediately - I have no build up problems.

Just my experience - but I have found no difference between apply and buffing the Ren wax by hand or using the Beall system.

Paul Singer
05-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree with Steve. If I leave it on more than a minute or two depending on conditions I have a hard time buffing it out. i normally put it on wipe it with a soft cloth then hit the buffer. Like Steve says the buffer does very little for it after the initial wiping but I do it anyways.