PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift Wandering?

Jon Middleton
05-26-2012, 7:19 PM
I was milling up parts for cabinet doors last night, using a door set from Amana, my Porter Cable router mounted in a JessEm Rout-R-Lift:

http://www.jessem.com/ROUT-R-LIFT.html

mounted on my table saw extension. The cutter for the stiles migrated during the session, so a couple of door parts were off by as much as .010"-.015" before I realized it and adjusted the cutter back down. Anybody else have this problem? The cutter was tight in the collet, and the router motor was tight in the case. I'm thinking the vibration and torque of cutting caused the lift itself to move of it's own accord. Any thoughts? Any cures?

Oops! Never mind. I just downloaded the manual, the tension is adjustable. I'll do it tonight.:)

Sam Murdoch
05-26-2012, 7:24 PM
Good, glad you solved that. I was going to suggest a more strict curfew :rolleyes:.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2012, 8:11 PM
I don't have a lift but I was routing some doors recently and had similar symptoms. It turned out that even though the collet was tight, it was allowing the bit to climb during the cut. I removed the collet and bit. I cleaned both with acetone and reinstalled them. The problem was resolved.

Sam Murdoch
05-26-2012, 9:48 PM
On a more serious note - forgive me if I write what you already know - but it is important to NOT set the bit to bottom out in the collet, easy to do when working the router in a table or lift. The bit should be placed into the collet as deep as can be to be held securely but pulled up off the bottom of the collet, otherwise the bit will surely vibrate loose.

Jon Middleton
05-27-2012, 1:05 AM
On a more serious note - forgive me if I write what you already know - but it is important to NOT set the bit to bottom out in the collet, easy to do when working the router in a table or lift. The bit should be placed into the collet as deep as can be to be held securely but pulled up off the bottom of the collet, otherwise the bit will surely vibrate loose.

Thanks, Sam, I'm aware of that. My doors are okay, only one joint out of 12 is a bit off. I'll adjust the tension before I do another raised panel run.

Turns out that raising panels with a router table is tedious. I had to do multiple passes, like 6, or a total of ~96 passes for the four panels. Wish I had a shaper.

Alan Lightstone
05-27-2012, 7:56 AM
I've always used the rubber grommet at the bottom of the hole trick, and then bottom the bit on the grommet. Never had the bit wander. Not sure if that's why, but it's good technique.

Ronald Blue
05-27-2012, 3:58 PM
Rubber grommets, rubber faucet washers, some o rings work great. Leaving a "squish" zone so the collet can seat and grip without resistance.

Gary Muto
05-30-2012, 7:38 AM
I have the Rockler version (Aluminum FX) of that lift. it was a little loose wehn I got it. After a few months I finally adjusted it. One notch on the retaining nut (1/16th of a turn) was plenty. I was concerned that it might bind but it works great now.