PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone near Hartford with a vacuum bag system

John Coloccia
05-26-2012, 6:09 PM
I'm looking for someone in the Hartford area that has a vacuum bag system and would be willing to let me see how it works, and take it for a dry run on a particular piece I'd like to bag. It's something of a bent lamination...a drop top guitar, actually. I'd like to prepare a piece, and then bring it by and see if the vacuum system can exert enough clamping pressure AND do it without cracking anything.

I guess it's a bit of an experiment combining some standard luthier techniques together to get what I want. If it works, I'll just buy my own system. I figured this was the most appropriate place to put this because I'm not looking for a service, and I'll post the technique and the results right here...which would definitely come under general woodworking. So I guess this is kind of a collective experiment :)

Peter Quinn
05-26-2012, 7:11 PM
Johm, not sure how far you want to travel, but I have a Joe Woodworker press I made and a 5X9' 30 mill poly bag. i also have the stuff to make a custom sized 20mil vinyl bag or two as well. I'm in lower Litchfield County, about 15 minutes north of I-84, exit 7. Your welcomed to use it if you like, either in your shop or mine. I get to the Newington area fairly regularly if lending it would be easier? Mine is a venturi press and requires a decent sized compressor to operate correctly. Let me know if you have any interest.

John Coloccia
05-26-2012, 9:21 PM
I'm very interested. I could probably have a piece ready to go in the next week or two, and then we can hook up. I'll certainly drive to where you are! Part of hooking up with someone that knows what they're doing is to see how an experienced person uses the thing :) I'll send you a PM when I'm ready, and then we'll work it out. I'll post back here pictures of exactly what I'm doing and how it turned out. It will help me, and hopefully help others as well.

Thanks, Peter!

Peter Quinn
05-27-2012, 6:23 AM
Sounds great John. Let me know when you're ready. I must admit I have the equipment but not much experience with it. I've read a lot, but it will be a learning experience for both of us!