PDA

View Full Version : Spalted White Oak Bowl

Nate Davey
05-26-2012, 5:59 PM
Good friend and fellow Creeker Rob Sitze called and said he could use a hand doing his bearing replacement on his Jet. As payment, he let me use his lathe since mine is sold, the movers have packed everything and I'm in an apartment for 3 months. We had a great day talking shop and the White Oak blank I picked up at our last turners guild was a nice piece of wood. No pics of the day but here is the bowl. I did another ring base that I really like and, as this isn't a utility bowl, the rim tilts out. Finish is Robs homemade secret formula. The blank had some bad punky areas but I like the bowl overall. And, to boot, Rob bought lunch. Great day. Comments and criticism appreciated.

P.S. Sorry about the pics, it's from my iPhone.

Rob Sitze
05-26-2012, 6:58 PM
It was a good time, after bearing replacement, Nate turned, I cut up bowl blanks, and we swapped stories. Too bad we didn't think about a picture together. Pebo, Nate's shop dog was awesome in the shop, other then chasing my cat around the house. Enjoyed it and hope to do it again before you move.

Jon Nuckles
05-26-2012, 7:15 PM
Nice looking bowl. I hadn't seen spalted white oak before. Is a tilted-out rim a no-no for a utility bowl? My dog is a fixture in my shop and am glad to hear that Nate even travels with his!

Jim Burr
05-26-2012, 7:38 PM
Nice work Nate!! For whatever reason, I think the foot is really cool! Great rim and the finish is spot on!

charlie knighton
05-26-2012, 7:38 PM
very nice oak

Alan Trout
05-26-2012, 7:46 PM
Nate,

That is a nice bowl and a neat piece of wood.

Alan

Greg Just
05-26-2012, 8:22 PM
I like everything about this bowl including the rim. Never thought of spalting oak but I might have to give it.

Steve Vaughan
05-26-2012, 9:35 PM
That's great looking! Love the grain and colors. I don't like to turn oak, but that piece would sure make it worth it!

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2012, 9:59 PM
Really nice looking bowl and wood.

Kathy Marshall
05-27-2012, 1:29 AM
Nice bowl Nate! I like the beaded foot and that's a cool piece of wood.

Michelle Rich
05-27-2012, 8:46 AM
love the wood! I like the ring base too

Donny Lawson
05-27-2012, 8:53 AM
Awesome spalting on that bowl. That's very nice and great shape.

Nate Davey
05-27-2012, 9:01 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Jon, I decided on my bowls, if it was for use, the rim would tip in and if the bowl was for looks, out. This way your cheerios roll back into the bowl :D Also, if I ever become famous, as opposed to infamous, it will be a signature.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Beautiful bowl! Glad to see you got in some shop time!! I would be lost without being able to head to my shop whenever I wanted!

Baxter Smith
05-27-2012, 2:38 PM
Nice looking bowl Nate! Looks close to being too far gone in many places.

Scott T Smith
05-28-2012, 1:15 AM
Nate, spectacular work, as always! Great things seem to occur when you and Rob hang together.

Are you sure that the wood is white oak? To me, it appears to be either willow or water oak, which are both in the red oak family.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Pete Gray
05-28-2012, 1:34 AM
Thats some fabulous spalting there Nate but it cant discuise a realy nice looking bowl, I do like your bottom treatment it just look neat
Pete