PDA

View Full Version : Nitrile Gloves

Jim Koepke
05-26-2012, 12:34 PM
My preference is for Nitrile gloves over Latex gloves. The Nitrile seems to give a better feel and dexterity. Latex irritates my skin a little and makes my hands sweat.

Just recently Costco has started to carry Nitrile gloves. The price is better than any others found in my search. At first my suspicion antennae went up because of all the cheap ones found at Home Depot or other such retail outlets. These often fall apart or tear easily. I like to reuse my gloves as much as possible.

One of the food sample preparation workers was wearing gloves and told me they were the Kirkland gloves and handed me one to try. Hers were size small, but it was evident the quality was what I wanted. The smalls would actually stretch to fit my hand but were tighter than I liked.

One pair of these has already survived a few days in the greenhouse which is more than I expected. The dexterity is great. Yesterday I was separating a bunch of small seedlings for replanting and it amazed me how there wasn't a problem doing this while wearing gloves.

One of the demonstration people was wearing gloves and told me they were the Kirkland gloves and handed me one to try. Hers were a small, but it was evident the quality was what I wanted.

2 boxes with 200 gloves each for $20, available in S, M & L with a size chart on the side.

I posted this here even though it is likely something that would benefit people in many of the other conferences.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2012, 12:54 PM
That's where my wife buys mine Jim. I love to wear them when I finish projects too!

Ted Calver
05-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Harbor Freight has a variety of nitrile gloves..watch for sales or use 20% coupons....they have light, medium and heavy duty gloves

David Weaver
05-26-2012, 1:14 PM
For the throw away light duty ones (like if you know you're not going to be doing something that tears them), HF will sometimes have the boxes of 100 on sale for $2.99, and the heavy duty boxes of 50 for maybe 5 or 7 dollars.

It's rare that I need the HD gloves, but I use the light ones a lot for finishing, etc.

Brian Elfert
05-26-2012, 10:16 PM
The Harbor Freight Nitrile gloves I get are the medium duty ones. They work for 98% of the stuff I use them for. They will eventually come apart if used for several hours. Any type of latex, vinyl, or nitrile gloves make my hands wet as water can't pass through. If latex irritates the hands you might be allergic to latex. Some local schools don't allow latex anything through the doors including latex ballons.

I almost never reuse them as they are hard to get off in a way that makes them easy to get on again. I notice a lot of mechanics wear nitrile gloves these days to keep their hands cleaner.

I need to go to Costco tomorrow so I will check them out. I couldn't find nitrile gloves at Costco a few months back even though I have seen folks selling Kirkland Signature nitrile gloves on Amazon.

Myk Rian
05-27-2012, 10:12 PM
My preference is for Nitrile gloves over Latex gloves.
Probably because latex gloves don't hold up to solvents. Petroleum eats them.

Matt Meiser
05-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Are they powdered or unpowdered? There have been past reports of the powder causing finishing issues!

george wilson
05-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Oil goes right through latex gloves. So do aids virus and others I understand. I am glad that my dentist is now using nitrile gloves. I had discussed it with him some time ago. Latex is full of tiny holes.

I noticed Walmart sells nitrile. Anyone know if they're any good? I'll have a look next time I go into Costco. Hope I remember.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Matt,

The ones my wife buys for me at Costco are powder free. I use them for finishing and haven't had a problem.

John A langley
05-27-2012, 11:52 PM
We use the Costco gloves and they are powder free. No finishing problems and they will last a couple of times. I have to admit it looks funny trying to blow them right side out.

Jim Koepke
05-28-2012, 12:52 AM
I couldn't find nitrile gloves at Costco a few months back

The Costco near here had them in the pharmacy aisles.

My first pair has been in use for three days in my greenhouse. Usually I would have popped a finger or torn them trying to get them off. I have been using them while repotting plants and planting seeds. I am impressed with their durability. Some of the ones from Home Depot get torn just trying to put them on.

jtk

Brian Elfert
05-28-2012, 8:31 AM
I found the nitrile gloves in the pharmacy section when I was at Costco yesterday. I have a brand new box of HF nitrile gloves right now so I don't need any at the moment. Based on the comments here I will buy them at Costco when this box is gone.

Nitrile gloves comes in various thicknesses. The HF medium duty ones are 5 mil. I've seen nitrile gloves as thin as 3 mil and those are probably the ones that tear right away.

David G Baker
05-28-2012, 5:05 PM
I get mine from Sam's Club. They have 3 sizes. I use them for a lot of things, they are great for working on vehicles if you want to keep oil and grease off of your hands.

Jim Becker
05-28-2012, 8:10 PM
I will have to check those out, although I'll be concerned that the L will not fit me. (I have long fingers and generally buy XL)