PDA

View Full Version : Newing Hall Apex 300 Engraving Machine

Terry Albrecht
05-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Can anyone tell me about this machine? Would it be suitable for trophey/award business? I have the chance to buy one to get me into the game until I can afford to purchase a laser. I do know by watching video that it is much slower than a laser but what limitations does this have. Will it do plastics, wood, acrylic? I figure it will do the metals since it has a spindle etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1119337)

Mark Sipes
05-26-2012, 6:36 PM
I hate to say this but you have not given us enough information to determine your capability. There is a diamond drag spindle which is a diamond mounted on an air actuator that engraves into aluminum, pewter, brass,etc. Since you said you have a 300 then you currently do not have the ability to do cylindrial items like baby cups.... but you could add the base and cylindrical later. Not sure what controller you have an AMC1, AMC2, or HPGL... only the HPGL will work with XP, the other are DOS based and need SE98. If you have the drive motor ( mounted on back right side) drives the belts that turn the rotary spindle. Cutters..diameter 11/64" or 1/4" 7" carbide cutters or diamond burnishers (polishes brass or aluminum with out digging deep) come in several sizes from .005 - .060 .. Cutters are for plastics.....003 - thickness of cutters 11/64th. cutter require sharpening, but that is a later subject.

I started with a NH350 and moved into a laser 4 years later..... I use both daily .. there are just some things you cannot do with a laser......

go to Newing-Hall.com to see available set-ups...... Depending on the model/year the software provided was either Newing Hall Version 12 I believe or EngraveLab. The later versions of the HPGL control were set up with a NIC card for wireless capability.

Attach photo if possible with spindles and controlller....

Let us know what you have or need help with..... I love my machine.....

Mark Sipes
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Is this question a result of the Newing-Hall 300 for sale on Ebay? I hope not!

Mike Null
05-31-2012, 6:56 AM
I've had my 350 for several years. I bought it well used at a low price and took it to the factory in Toledo, Ohio to be refurbished and updated. I spent about $10K to do this which included a new controller, new Engravlab software, an additional table a few tools and the usual parts replacement and adjustment.

A Newing Hall factory rep came out to install it when the refurb was finished. Since then I have spent only $130 on parts replacement.

It has been a splendid piece of equipment. All Newing Hall machines, regardless of age, can be brought up to date. That's a feature that I believe is unique to Newing Hall. With my update/refurb my tech support has been free.

Call Jeff Mathias at Newing Hall for more info on what can be done with the 300 as far as getting you current. (Jeff is the one who came out to St. Louis to install my machine and give me instruction. He was a 19 year old college kid at the time and you can imagine what's going through my mind. In about 15 minutes Jeff had shown me that he knew what he was doing and, in fact, was quite expert on the equipment as well as being fairly competent with my new software.

During our conversation I discovered that Jeff grew up in an engraving family and that his mother, Helen, is the Newing Hall sales manager.)

Terry Albrecht
05-31-2012, 1:47 PM
Is this question a result of the Newing-Hall 300 for sale on Ebay? I hope not!
Yes is this a bad thing?
Tell me more. Thank you.

Mike Null
05-31-2012, 3:51 PM
I'd be far more inclined to have a look at the 600 also listed but you need to ask a lot of questions. It comes with the power vise, compressor, vacuum pump for doing glass, chip collector and very large table.

I have been in the business for nearly 15 years and have several pieces of equipment. My laser produces more money than all the others combined then it's a toss up between my Newing Hall and laser sublimation.

Most of my work with the NH is wholesale for jewelry stores and gift shops.

I am home based and don't do retail work.

Terry Albrecht
05-31-2012, 6:11 PM
Thank you for your information. I am just trying to get into the game. I want a laser but don't have the funds yet and I know that I am missing opportunities the longer I wait. A machine like this or the 600 could be a gateway to getting started. I know that in time I want to have a laser, sandblasting station and sublimation. But none of that is going to happen until I get started. Thank you again for the advise I will look at the 600 closer.

Terry Albrecht
05-31-2012, 6:16 PM
I looked at that closer and for a few hundred dollars more I could import a laser that could make me even more money. A lot to think about here thanks again.