PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinders, from cheap to out of this world pricing.

Peter Hawser
05-26-2012, 10:16 AM
This is only based on curiosity. I recently read a review in FWW of 8" slow speed grinders under $200. They really didn't like any single one in particular and said all had cheap almost unusable tool rests. By contrast I looked at some of Baldor's online and while priced 4 or 5x higher, they look amazing in every way. I would never need such an amazing perfect grinder (but you can bet I will look for used ones on CL), but has anyone here every used one? If so, was it noticeably better in terms of vibration? Tool rests look to be made from iron, not stamped steel. I imagine they would last a lifetime. You would think there is somewhere in between a Chevette and Mercedes here. Somewhere between $100 and $800 for a grinder that is low in vibration, comes with good wheels and has usable tool rests. Say $300. Why not?

allen thunem
05-26-2012, 11:21 AM
the difference between the two grinder is like night and day. no wheel balance issues with the baldors. they are quiet and if you arnt careful with them you dont even know they are running they are so quiet.
you probably wont find a new baldor 8" for $300. you probably wont use their tool rests or stock wheels either. more than likely you will want to upgrade to a wolverine system and white or blue wheels or even cbn wheels. I use a woodcraft 8" slow speed and on sale it is only $90. works great with the wolverine and new wheels i bought

Brian Kent
05-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Here is a combo package that is effective for a lot of people:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080939/36507/Woodturners-Sharpening-Kit.aspx

Reed Gray
05-26-2012, 12:05 PM
The tool rests that come with any grinder out there are worthless for what we use them for. That is why there are so many after market grinder tool rests for sale.

The difference between the Baldor 3100 slow speed grinder the Woodcraft no name grinder is almost like the difference between a Harbor Freight lathe, and a Robust/Serious/Oneway/PM/Stubby/VB36. It is made in the USA, and you if you get one, there is no need to ever bolt it down, it does run that smooth. Both grinders have a 3/4 hp motor, but the one on the Baldor is a LOT stronger. I did find a place in Indiana that had them for sale for around $650, but shipping ran it back up to around $850 or so, which is what you can get it for from industrial suppliers.

robo hippy

Charles Bjorgen
05-26-2012, 2:39 PM
I settled for a 7-inch, 1725 rpm Baldor in the early 2000's. Don't recall exactly what it cost at the time but I do recall having to swallow hard when I paid for it. Never looked back. It was a wonderful purchase and set up with the Wolverine system has been all I'd want. On occasion I need to double check that I turned it off it takes so long to wind down. Very smooth and never saw the need for a balancing system.

Jamie Donaldson
05-26-2012, 8:19 PM
You can have vibration issues with any grinder, as it is most often the wheels that cause the problems. For the average Joe Woodturner the Woodcraft grinder set up with a Wolverine system can do a fine job, but some tuning may be required to really make it huuuuuumm!

Peter Hawser
05-30-2012, 5:20 PM
Thanks everyone, I was just curious. It does sound like the Baldor is made like the old days. I did see a Metabo 8" grinder listed for about $300 with one gushing review that it was much better than the standard Borg version. Perhaps that is a somewhere in between model?

Greg Portland
05-31-2012, 2:26 PM
Peter, IMO the Grizzly heavy-duty grinders (not the "regular" grinders) are the equal to the Baldor grinders at a significant cost savings. I've used one regularly for the past few years (with Norton stones) and have been very pleased.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-1-HP-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Grinder/G0596

Here's my review:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?124434-Grizzly-G0596-Industrial-grinder-review

Prashun Patel
05-31-2012, 2:30 PM
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the grinder; I'd spend a lot of money on an after market rest and an after market wheel, namely a CBN.

Scott T Smith
05-31-2012, 6:20 PM
Peter, IMO the Grizzly heavy-duty grinders (not the "regular" grinders) are the equal to the Baldor grinders at a significant cost savings. I've used one regularly for the past few years (with Norton stones) and have been very pleased.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-1-HP-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Grinder/G0596

Here's my review:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?124434-Grizzly-G0596-Industrial-grinder-review

I've had Baldor grinders, and I currently have the HD 10" Grizzly (model H8150) and a smaller 8" Jet grinder. The 8150 is very similar to the Baldor in terms of low vibration and overall smooth operation. I highly recommend it.

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2012, 7:11 PM
I think the best compromise between cost and quality is this one:

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/sander/15-825.html

It can be had from any number of online vendors for well under two hundred bucks and is built like a tank.

Peter Hawser
05-31-2012, 9:24 PM
Thanks everyone, all good advice. I had no idea Grizzly made these beasts. David, the General is something I have been thinking about too. I just may do that.

Jeffrey J Smith
05-31-2012, 9:58 PM
FWIW, I've been using one of the inexpensive Woodcraft low-speed grinders for a couple of years now, and was never really happy with it. I invested in Norton wheels, last one I put on was an SG wheel. I spent a fair amount of time balancing the wheels with a OneWay balancing system but never got rid of the vibration. I chocked it up to a cheap grinder and perhaps poor wheel dressing habits.

All that changed when I put on a pair of D-Way CBN wheels. The grinder has morphed into a smooth running sharpening beast. These wheels are precision balanced at the factory and run so smoothly the wheels are still turning nearly 5 minutes after turning the grinder off. The 1-1/2" wide wheels are a joy to use, I've removed the guards (since they can't blow up on me), making access to the wheel surface and visibility of what I'm doing much easier.

I'm a fan of the combo now - reasonably cheap grinder with very good wheels. I'm sure the wheels will outlive the grinder...

Denny Rice
05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
+1 Jamie
I recently purchased a PC 8" VS grinder, basiclly took it apart, (kept the motor, everything else was junked) took the wheels off and replaced with new AO wheels, bought into the Wolverine sharpening family (I must say the stuff from Wolverine is high quality stuff) and yes I also purchased the balancing kit for my new grinding wheels. Very nice stuff. Probably have close to 400 dollars in what use to be a 120.00 grinder after the purchase of the varigrind attachment too.

Thomas Canfield
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and Wolverine sharpening system. I could never get the wheels true using a hand held diamond dresser and thought there was a problem with the wheels. I bought a Norton wheel and it had some similar problems, but then I bought the Wolverine diamond dresser and that really got a smooth wheel and the quality of sharpening increased greatly. Getting the wheels dressed properly is a big factor in the quality of edge that can be obtained. I can now take a VERY LIGHT pass and have the sharp cutting edge back instead of the bounce on old dressed wheels.