PDA

View Full Version : silly question?

Jeff Bartley
05-26-2012, 9:52 AM
I've just checked out this section of SMC for the first time and realized you guys might be able to answer a question I've had in my head for awhile: does one who builds instruments need to have the ability to 'play' instruments??? The obvious answer I would think would be no...but it sure helps. So I'm wondering: does anyone here who builds instruments not actually play them?
I've really enjoyed checking out some of the work here----really incredible!

John Coloccia
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think it's traditionally uncommon that an instrument builder can't play the instrument. My amp tech repairs amplifiers, keyboards, recording gear, etc from people all over the country, but has no musical talent. I'm sure there are people that make brushes that can't paint. I think it's more common for guitar builders to actually also play at least a little guitar. Let's be honest...who can't learn to strum a few chords on the guitar? Ditto for harpsichord/organ builders. Everyone can do chopsticks, right? I know a lot of luthiers, though, that are just simply not strong guitarists at all. They can do a little strumming and picking, and they know a couple of simple tunes, but that's about it.

I think it's fairly common for builders of instruments in the violin family (bass, violin, viola, cella etc...), banjos, and other more unusual stringed instruments (ouds, lutes) to really not play the instrument well at all, though it's inevitable that after a while you learn how to do SOMETHING on the instrument, at least, but never attaining even a novice level of proficiency. All the builders seem to know how to play the dulcimer and hammer dulcimer, however, and in fact many players simply build their own hammer dulcimer because it's such a simple instrument to build. There's a hammer dulcimer club in my area that builds and plays.

I happened to have gotten into building much later in life, so I went into it as a fairly strong guitarist to begin with. I do think that gives me a bit of an advantage and generally I think the more you know on the instrument the more of an advantage you have. I can just pick up a neck as I'm working it and I can immediately feel that it's right or it's not. As I'm setting it up, I can take it for a pretty good romp and really work out any problem spots without having to rely on meticulous measurements. Still, I'm 100% I could do it if I didn't play at all...it would just be a little harder and more time consuming.

Brian Kent
05-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Jeff, I have had the same question. Making guitars looks fascinating. I am a musician but not a guitarist. I would need to do a lot of listening and research about materials and design to see what sound I am trying to create. I would also want to work closely with a friend who plays well, who could advise me, and who could give active feedback at each step.

I am a percussionist. If somebody was trying to make a marimba I could give a lot of feedback on the sound characteristics of each bar and resonator. I would need that kind of teaching from a good guitarist.

Jeff Bartley
05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys! It just looks like so much fun to build a stringed instrument....and after seeing Seth D.'s drum builds....I can add drums to that list. Plus I really like music of all kinds so any further involvement with things musical would be cool! One day I'll try a guitar build.....but first I need to catch up on the ever growing list of things to build!

Michael Menzli
05-26-2012, 7:06 PM
I think it would have some benefits if you new how to play...completely necessary not really. I think there are aspects to a particular instrument that only the musician can really understand..from feel, to tone, to all things in between. Being a musician would assist in having a better understanding of simple asthetics and basic needs of a particular instrument. I would also think it would assist in the creative process.

But such is the balance of life..you have engineers that can kick arse from schematics but get them to build from a creative standpoint and they freak...get an artist to build from an engineers drawings and you get the same.. :)

Jim Ritter
05-26-2012, 7:19 PM
No you don't have to and I'm proof. I've built a hammer dulcimer for my wife, a concert size ukulele for my son and a mountain dulcimer for myself. I build the mt. Dulcimer almost 10 years ago and still can't play more than one song. I learn a song then get overwhelmed at work and don't pick it up again for two years and I'm starting over again. I do know if I had an hour a day to do something, I would rather build something new than learn music. I hope that will change when I retire. I've refretted a guitar for a friend, put a new (hide) head on a banjo and refinished it for money. I rebuilt the neck on my old banjo, and started making my ideal banjo. A parlor guitar is mid construction, and more ukuleles are being built when I have time. I am a boatbuilder as my day job, so working wood all the time.

Ernie Miller
05-26-2012, 9:36 PM
I think it depends on who you're building the instrument for. If you're building for yourself or for family, chances are you and/or they will be more than satisfied, and even amazed and thrilled, with whatever you build. If you're building for sale to professionals, the little subtleties that separate a decent instrument from a fine instrument come into play. It's these small subtleties that are harder to master if you don't play the instrument you're building. I've noticed that in my 30 years as a harpsichord builder, the type of clientele that buys my instruments has changed. In the early years, most sales went to amateur players - and interior decorators who were looking for something different to decorate a living room with. Now, most buyers are professional harpsichordists. One of the reasons for this is, although I do play (not too well, I'm afraid), is that it has taken me years to understand those subtleties that would allow a professional to consider buying one of my harpsichords.

That said, I wouldn't let the inability to play stop me from building an instrument. Being a non-player just lengthens the learning curve depending on the quality of instrument you want to build. I know there are many people building their first (and perhaps, last) harpsichord using my book on harpsichord construction as a guide. Some will be more successful than others, but they all seem to be really enjoying the process. Instrument building can be quite intoxicating, but you'll never know if instrument making is something that appeals to you until you try it. In other words - go for it!

Ernie

Dustin Keys
06-01-2012, 3:39 PM
Leo Fender seemed to get by pretty well without being a guitar player, so I think it's certainly possible. It would be really difficult unless you're unusually gifted, but it's possible.

Like John said, for most people it would require lots of meticulous measurements as you don't have the playing experience to know how it should feel. The learning curve is going to be really steep and you're going to likely need to become close friends with some good players for feedback.

I'm extremely curious about building guitars as I'm a pretty good player and want to build my own, but I have no interest in building instruments I can't play. I don't know what would be fun about that, but I'm sure it is fun to some people (like Leo).

D

george wilson
06-08-2012, 5:10 PM
This girl came to me with an expensive GRAMMER dreadnought guitar that would not play in tune. I checked out the fret spacing,and found the frets to not be in the right places. She was going back to the maker anyway,but wanted to know what was wrong.

When she got to the maker of this EXPENSIVE guitar,the maker told her that he couldn't tell if the frets were right because HE COULDN'T PLAY. What an incredibly poor way to dodge responsibility.

Max Speedwell
08-16-2013, 5:51 PM
John D'Angelico couldn't play.
No one would dare argue his guitars aren't great.

He would install the D string, bring it up to pitch,
and if the tone was acceptable he and the new
owner would open a bottle and celebrate the guitar.

-Max