PDA

View Full Version : Electrical - Low Voltage?

Russ Filtz
04-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Maybe OT, but one of the duplex outlets in my house seems to be getting flaky. One outlet seems fine, but the other stopped working and when I put the voltmeter on it, it looks to only be putting out 9-10 volts! (could be 90, as I've got one of those autoranging jobs and I'm never sure what it's doing, use it mostly for continuity!).

The outlet is hard to get to, so before I dig into it, just wanted to see what I might be up against. I figure it's either a loose wire or the actual outlet is going bad? Guess it won't hurt to get a new one and replace it when I'm in there.

Russ Filtz
04-02-2005, 11:15 AM
OK, I'm an idiot. Turns out the one side is switched, which I forgot about. But now I'm wondering why it showed any voltage at all when it was switched off. Is this normal to see some leakage at a switched off outlet?

George Matthews
04-02-2005, 2:38 PM
But now I'm wondering why it showed any voltage at all when it was switched off. Is this normal to see some leakage at a switched off outlet?

There is enough capacitance between the live wire and the switched wire to feed a very small amout of current to the meter. In fact you'll pickup stay voltage ( called leakage current ) from many items.

This 60 hz leakage current is completely harmless unless it's within an intensive care unit, where catheters etc. have a a good connection to your heart.

lou sansone
04-02-2005, 4:50 PM
that is one of the reasons that many electricians like to use a "wigge or wiggens" to test the circuit. That is an electrical meter that seems to put a small load on the circuit so that false incidations that you get with a digital meter are avoided.

Russ Filtz
04-02-2005, 6:45 PM
Thanks, at least I know nothing's wrong with the wiring now!