PDA

View Full Version : How to make large tapered plugs.

Larry Edgerton
05-25-2012, 6:31 PM
I had a situation this week where I did not feel comfortable with the fastening system on some out door newel posts. These are synthetic posts with a wood core. I wanted to use carrage bolts but no plugs are available. I had to get the carrage bolts back to the wood and then plug the plastic.

So.... I used a fly cutter with the center pilot bit removed.

To get the taper I bent the cutter with my arbor press to about 1.5 degrees right at the beam.

I am not sure how they come, but I oriented the point of the cutter so that it was on the inside radius instead of the outside because the center is the part I want to part from the stock first. Usually it is the other way around.

I planed some Versatex to 1/2" and set the stop on the drill press so I really had to lean on it to get through the material. This is where you have to pay attention, when the plug is parted from the stock. Took a couple of tries and a couple of adjustments, but I now have 1 1/2" tapered plugs out of Versatex. Keep in mind that the face side is down.

I tried it on some wood and it worked well for that too. As I was driving to work I had an idea that I have not tried yet and that is to use double faced tape to hold the plug so I don't have to be so quick with the quill. I'll try it when I am at the shop next.

Larry

Van Huskey
05-25-2012, 6:42 PM
Good idea, but I am waiting for a metal working guy to tell you that "that ain't no fly cutter" although I have often heard them called that and often call circle cutters a fly cutter as well.

They are actually desigend to have the cutter reversed bepending on whether the inside or outside is the waste, folk use them for cutting "wheels" for toys etc.

Honestly, I don't think I would have thought of that in a million years but it could be very useful, goes along with your solutions to odd problems thread. Even if you had never posted pictures of your work it would still be clear you are the type of contractor that all contractors should try to be as oppsoed to one I worked with a few years ago who's solution to that would have been a lot of colored caulk... I am being serious...

Larry Edgerton
05-25-2012, 6:47 PM
One thing I forgot....

When I flipped the cutter the relief is the wrong way so I put it in reverse. I kind of forget that many drill presses are not reversable. In this case it would be no big deal to make a new cutter, mine is 1/4" square stock, but each one is different. You'll figure it out.....

Gotta run, dinner out with my wife....:D

Larry

Van Huskey
05-25-2012, 7:14 PM
The one I have has a cutter with two ends, one for hole and one for wheel cutting.

harry hood
05-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I tell my machinist friend that his "shaper" is really an automated scratch stock.

Van Huskey
05-25-2012, 11:55 PM
I tell my machinist friend that his "shaper" is really an automated scratch stock.

That made me grin!