PDA

View Full Version : Disston #16 Handsaw find and question?

Tony Shea
05-25-2012, 5:46 PM
I just got back from a little tool gold mine I frequent and scored 3 new to me saws. I picked up a Disston #12 7ppi rip in incredible condition. This might be something I am going to resell as it may be worth more to someone else. I also picked up a #7 5ppi rip saw in decent condition that I will be putting to good use. Probably my favorite out of the 3 as I'm more interested in using them than collecting. Will be a great user. The last saw is a #16 which is a 9ppi crosscut. I have not ever seen a #16 and really don't know anything about it. The handle is very nice. It's very similar to the #12 with a wonderful wheat carving. Like the #12 this saw has a very nice shape, back when Disston really cared about the feel of the handles. Not like their later blocky style. The difference is in the size of the handle and saw itself. The #16 is much smaller. It has also been used a lot more than the #12 as the plate is filed down a bit. The etch is closer to the tooth line than the top of the plate which typically indicates lots of use and filing. Both the #12 and #16 etch's are very clear. Any information on the #16 would be greatly appreciated. How does the #16 compare in worth ($) to a #12 in similar condition.

I will post pics when I get my camera back. My Girlfriend has it at the moment therefore no pics.

Jeff Heath
05-25-2012, 9:05 PM
You can read all about it here:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/16page.html

Jeff

Tony Zaffuto
05-26-2012, 7:45 AM
Disston #16's are my favorite of all handsaws - roughy a dozen or so, plus I had Mike Wenzloff build me a custom saw based on the #16 (has wheat carving on it that is far better than any factory carving bar none, done by Marv W.). Anyhow, the #16 has a "let in" handle that I like, plus a straight back. My favorite #16 is a saw I got about 10 - 12 years ago, was pretty beat up, but it cleaned up well. The blade had been sharpened (22" or so long) that at the toe, there is only about 1" or so of depth left. Had it sharpened by Tom Law (he was still in that business at the time), and this saw is just a joy to use on cherry and similar woods (9 pt. CC). Also, the nib is intact. I picked up a #16 short panel saw near Lancaster PA about 8 - 9 years ago. Paid $40 for it, but it is considered more of a collector item than anything, and it's condition is collector grade. The rest are in a variety of conditions and blade depth from full to near point at the toe, but all have a very comfortable feel to me.

Did I mention that #16's are my favorite saws????

Tony Shea
05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Disston #16's are my favorite of all handsaws - roughy a dozen or so, plus I had Mike Wenzloff build me a custom saw based on the #16 (has wheat carving on it that is far better than any factory carving bar none, done by Marv W.). Anyhow, the #16 has a "let in" handle that I like, plus a straight back. My favorite #16 is a saw I got about 10 - 12 years ago, was pretty beat up, but it cleaned up well. The blade had been sharpened (22" or so long) that at the toe, there is only about 1" or so of depth left. Had it sharpened by Tom Law (he was still in that business at the time), and this saw is just a joy to use on cherry and similar woods (9 pt. CC). Also, the nib is intact. I picked up a #16 short panel saw near Lancaster PA about 8 - 9 years ago. Paid $40 for it, but it is considered more of a collector item than anything, and it's condition is collector grade. The rest are in a variety of conditions and blade depth from full to near point at the toe, but all have a very comfortable feel to me.

Did I mention that #16's are my favorite saws????

I haven't actually sharpened and used this #16 yet, just picked it up yesterday, but I agree in that it really feels nice in the hand. The balance is great and the smaller handle really fits my hand well. So much better than the blocky handles Disston started producing later on. I did do some reading on the saw over at the Disston institute website, thanks for the link. Shouldve checked there before posting. I still am curious what its' worth might be compared to some of the #12's you see for sale out there. Each saw cost $10. I know, still need to post some pics.

Jeff Heath
05-26-2012, 1:39 PM
I think that if you're trying to ascertain value, I'd check out completed auctions on ebay. That'll tell you what people are willing to pay, and you can also look at the tool in question (at least, photo's) to ascertain condition.

As far as "collector condition" goes, it is my opinion that tools were meant to be tuned to maximum performance and used. These great saws weren't built by H. Disston so they could hang on a wall.

Jeff

Tony Zaffuto
05-26-2012, 2:23 PM
Don't confuse "collector item" with "condition" (this isn't meant for you Jeff), as rarity is as important as condition. In my case, my #16 is the shortest, three screw panel saw style (the condition of mine is not unused, but it was used very lightly). For some reason, prices of #16's don't seem to track nearly as high as the 12's and I personally find the 16's much easier to use (I like the let-in handle style).

Joe Bailey
05-26-2012, 9:29 PM
Don't confuse "collector item" with "condition" (this isn't meant for you Jeff), as rarity is as important as condition. In my case, my #16 is the shortest, three screw panel saw style (the condition of mine is not unused, but it was used very lightly). For some reason, prices of #16's don't seem to track nearly as high as the 12's and I personally find the 16's much easier to use (I like the let-in handle style).

I believe the price discrepancy can be explained by the difference in the steel Disston used for each. It appears the 12 (like other high-end Disston offerings) was made from "Extra Refined London Spring Steel", while the 16 is listed as "Refined Crucible Steel".

Tony Zaffuto
05-26-2012, 9:32 PM
I got many 16's and several 12's and my "non discerning" tastes and abilities can't tell the difference! I do know that a #16 works better for my methods (control with the let-in handle).

Keep interest away from 16's!!!!!!(best saw ever made, decades ago or in the present).