PDA

View Full Version : Classified Forum Etiquette

John Coloccia
05-25-2012, 2:43 PM
After placing an ad and having an item sold, what's the correct way to get ad deleted?

Bruce Page
05-25-2012, 2:55 PM
John, I can delete it for you. Normally, they just move down the page and are removed after 3 months.

John Coloccia
05-25-2012, 3:06 PM
Ah, OK....no problem. I didn't want it cluttering the classified area, but I'll just mark them as sold and let them go from now on.

Thanks, Bruce.

Mike Allen1010
05-26-2012, 1:09 PM
I have a similar question: how can I change the title of my original classified ad post to show the tool has been "sold"? I have been just posting reply to the thread to show their sold, but have seen others change the title so people can see at a glance that their sold and would like to do the same.

BTW, Thanks for everything you do to make The Creek such a great place -- I really love it here! It weren't for the classified ads, I would have way too many tools cluttering up the shop.

Thanks, Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2012, 1:41 PM
Mike,

A Member or Contributor can only change a post for 24 hours after they made the post.

Let's assume you post something for sale and it sells a couple hours later. To change the title.....go to your initial post and select "Edit Post". When the "edit" window opens, select "Go Advanced". In the "Advanced Edit" window you can change a title. But remember after 24 hours from the original posting, Members and Contributors can't edit a post....then just send a PM to one of the Modeators with a link to the thread and Moderators will be happy to do it for you.

Keith Outten
05-26-2012, 4:59 PM
I'm working on a new document for our Classifieds Forum that will provide all of the information you will ever need to know about the forum. We used to have one but somewhere along the way it was deleted by mistake during one of our cleanup sessions.

Chad Stockwell
03-27-2019, 4:14 PM
Mike,

A Member or Contributor can only change a post for 24 hours after they made the post. ????

I’ve been using V-boards surrounding several hobbies for ages and this has to be hands down the dumbest thing ever! What’s the point of being a contributor if I can’t edit my own posts after 24 hours. I’ve never seen any v-board owner utilize this feature. I don’t need my hand held. Especially if it’s just to fix a typo or adjust a price for a classified post. Contacting a moderator should be for resolving member spats and technical issues regarding the forum.

Jim Becker
03-27-2019, 5:46 PM
Every forum I participate in has a time limit on posting, not just SMC, Chad. That's seven different forum sites covering four different subjects and I'm a moderator on three of them. There are multiple reasons for the restriction, but they include avoiding loss of content for any number of reasons.

Chad Stockwell
04-01-2019, 12:02 AM
I meant to specify “edit in classifieds” but again by the time I got back to this it was beyond the 24 hours. Still pretty stupid IMO. I’ll eat the $6 and show myself the door.

Jim Becker
04-01-2019, 8:36 AM
Chad, any moderator is very happy to help with edits in the Classifieds...we do it all the time. All you have to do is ask. I don't believe the forum software allows for different edit restrictions in different sub-forums. I also hope you didn't join SMC just to use the classifieds. They are certainly a benefit but not what this community is about.