PDA

View Full Version : 14" delta bandsaw blade alignment

eugene thomas
05-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I bought 14" bandsaw few months ago from friend. he bought around 1992 and other than minimal use sat and collected dust. I bought to use for curve work got tired of changing blade on my 17" bandsaw. My question is how do i chnage the location of where blade goes through the table. it rides against the table insert, works ok but anoying every time see it.
I already made sure blade guides not the issue.

Brian Kerley
05-25-2012, 1:23 PM
Just make a new insert out of wood/plastic and then you will be set. Plus, it will be "zero clearance" and not cause tearout on the back of your work.

Bob Vallaster
05-25-2012, 5:09 PM
I will presume you have properly set the blade guides.
Thicker-than-stock tires will displace the blade right of its normal position. (Thinner would move the blade left.)
If neither of the above is an issue: Don't move the blade. Move the table.
The table is located by two aluminum trunnions, each secured with three bolts which pass from below/through the trunnion flange/into tapped holes in the table.
With the table set flat and the grub handles tight, slack (but do not remove) the bolts. Then jiggle the table (now held down by only gravity) to the right to the extent the through-holes in the trunnions will allow.
If that doesn't yield enough to satisfy you AND you're feeling adventurous... you could ream the trunnion through holes a bit larger, bearing in mind you will become a self-appointed experimental test engineer in doing so.
If not up for the adventure, Brian's option above will take care of it.

BobV

Van Huskey
05-25-2012, 5:50 PM
Bob is spot on, but to add to that I have seen build up of sawdust over the years move the blade out to the right as well, rare but could happen. Check the tires, adjust the table and you should be fine. I would suggest using a wood or buying plastic throat plate (2 are under 10 bucks) because not only will they be zero clearance but they won't ruin the blade if it touches them like the metal ones.

Myk Rian
05-25-2012, 6:30 PM
Turn the insert around.

Van Huskey
05-25-2012, 6:45 PM
Turn the insert around.

Although I did not pay any attention to the orientation because I have used them "backwards" sometimes, it does assume there is a concentricity issue with the insert, which there could be although I would be surprised if it was that far off on an older metal one.

Myk Rian
05-25-2012, 6:55 PM
My 1966 14" has it the other way around.
Inserted from the front. Opening to the back.
I owned a 2001 model. Same thing. Besides it's easier to get them out.

The only other fix would be loosen the trunions, and adjust the table over.

Bruce Wrenn
05-26-2012, 10:03 PM
A couple minutes with a file or even quicker using a Dremel, just open up insert.

Ken Krawford
05-29-2012, 8:14 AM
I had the same problem. Here's a link to the thread and solution. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?182435-Question-About-Bandsaw-Setup&p=1881868&highlight=#post1881868