PDA

View Full Version : Useable burl?

Lee Alkureishi
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

I picked up an unknown species log from the local tree feller's yard the other day, and it had a roughly 6" diameter burl sticking out of the side. I was all excited - my first burl!

Last night I separated it from the rest of the log, and noticed a fairly bad smell. I sliced a 2" chunk off the bottom, and found that the central portion had some rot in it. I cleared out the debris, and took the picture seen below. I know that some rot is not unusual in burls, and that many turners "save" pieces like this. I'd like to do that, but I'm not sure the best way to process this piece. For now, I sealed the outside completely with paraffin/paint thinner until I get some time to work on it.

Any suggestions for what to do with this? Should I just turn, DNA soak and dry as usual? Or do I need to do anything else to "stop the rot"?

Also, I know it's a long shot because I'm not giving you much to go with, but any thoughts on what species of wood this is?

Thanks,

Lee

Eric Gourieux
05-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Lee, unfortunately, I don't think this is a burl. It looks like a limb was damaged or removed in the past and what is left is this "scar" with the old, rotten limb in the center.

Lee Alkureishi
05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
aw man...

How can I tell the difference?

Is there anything to suggest it on the outside, or just when you cut into it?

Thanks

Jamie Donaldson
05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Old timers call those "cat's eye" burls, and they are seldom useable for turning because the bottom of the growth is often not sound. They can usually be IDed by the circular growth pattern of the bark as this one exhibits.These form when the tree heals itself around and over a dead branch as Eric stated, but as long as the bottom is sound, and this one appears to be enclosed, you may be able to turn a bowl from it.

Lee Alkureishi
05-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a spin!

Lee

Ken Glass
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Lee,
Turn it. It will be good practice and you might be surprised with the outcome......

curtis rosche
05-25-2012, 1:47 PM
Lee, unfortunately, I don't think this is a burl. It looks like a limb was damaged or removed in the past and what is left is this "scar" with the old, rotten limb in the center.
+1 on that

i wouldnt attempt it, the rotten part could come flying out, or the whole thing just falls apart easy as soon as the tool hits it

Mike Cruz
05-25-2012, 4:03 PM
I say try it. Yeah, it could blow apart, but so could any wood.

With this type of piece, just orient the blank in such a way that the "rotten" piece is where you would turn away anyaway. You might get something a lot smaller than you had orininally hoped for, but that doesn't mean that you can't get "something" out of it. I have one very similar to that waiting to be turned...

Lee Alkureishi
05-25-2012, 5:42 PM
hey, that's what the face shield is for, right?

:)

Mike Cruz
05-25-2012, 6:20 PM
That and a nice leather apron. Had a cedar blank fly apart on my once. Hit me square in the chest. Wasn't wearing my apron. But had that been a dense wood, I think it would have hurt. Certainly made me change my drawers. :eek: