PDA

View Full Version : Dust and chip catchers for your lathe

Rob Littleton
04-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Alrighty guys and gals..........

I have just connected my dust collection system up and the only tool I have "plumbed" so far is the lathe. I have a four inch pipe hanging from the ceiling and sometimes I balance the pipe on the handle, sometimes I stand with it in my teeth (just kidding), basically, what do you guys use as a catching device connected to the dust collector. I still have a floor full of chips although the thing sucked up quite a bit of it. It seems I cant catch ALL of the chips, but I know I can catch more than Im catching now.

Anyone built their own they would be willing to share?

A buddy of mine converted a floor sweep and put it on the front of his lathe. Catches wuite a bit but............

Cheers

Jim Becker
04-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Rob, a hood behind the lathe to deal with sanding dust is a very workable thing. I use a commercial articulated "swing arm" (http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10403&sid=AF331) for that purpose as shown here, although mine is mounted from the ceiling:

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/63508-md.jpg

You could also build something like this.

Picking up chips while cutting is almost a lost cause, however. That's what your floor sweep hood is for when combined with a broom. (folks should only use these with cyclone systems...never with a single stage DC!) The reason I say this is because you'd almost need to have the hood located on your chest and belly to capture most of the chips created when turning, 'cause that's the direction they go off the tool. I do NOT recommend you put anything between "you" and the lathe, however. That would be 1) uncomfortable and 2) potentially unsafe.

In some cases, I've been able to capture some stuff when hollowing a vessel, but even then it's iffy. Running the hood behind is still a good idea when you're working species that have sensitivties as you still do create some fine dust when cutting with your tools.

Rob Littleton
04-02-2005, 1:38 PM
Thanks Jim,

yeah, that is a good idea for catching the sanding dust but it really is the chips that bother me more. I do wear the Airshield and have a Jet air cleaner running over my head during sanding so that aint my main concern.

The idea of the floor sweep is a good one but its been so long since I used a broom..........maybe I can ask the wife :-). (hope she dont read this) hehe

Anyways, I discovered, when the hose fell from where it was half balanced, on its way down, it took a bunch of sandpaper with it. Remember, this is the 3HP and it sux big time. It would scare me to have a floor sweep in case I dropped a light tool during clean (or the little dog walked by)...hehe

OK, so I think my next step might be the roughing gouge that attaches to the dust collection. I forget the technical name for it, but, does anyone have any input on that gouge? Good or bad?

Cheers again......

Jim Becker
04-02-2005, 3:16 PM
The idea of the floor sweep is a good one but its been so long since I used a broom..........

I have two floor sweeps and would not give them up for anything. Our buddy Norm Abram also considers the floor sweep to be one of the most useful ports on his system.

OK, so I think my next step might be the roughing gouge that attaches to the dust collection. I forget the technical name for it, but, does anyone have any input on that gouge? Good or bad?

All the reports I've seen have been basically a "big thumbs down"...clogs way too easy.

Wear a turner's smock (I like Packard's for the most comfortable neck line and the choice of one without sleeves for warmer weather or climates) and your Trend mask and don't worry about the chips...they are going to fly everywhere and there is no way to realistically catch them with a DC....many folks have tried to find a way and the result is...NOT!

Harry Goodwin
04-05-2005, 7:51 PM
Some of you have suggested in the past to use HIVAC fittings or even heat and airconditioning vents. I also use delta small DC with bag and retangular hood. Others are available from suppliers.

Rob Littleton
04-05-2005, 8:29 PM
I have two floor sweeps and would not give them up for anything. Our buddy Norm Abram also considers the floor sweep to be one of the most useful ports on his system.

All the reports I've seen have been basically a "big thumbs down"...clogs way too easy.

Wear a turner's smock (I like Packard's for the most comfortable neck line and the choice of one without sleeves for warmer weather or climates) and your Trend mask and don't worry about the chips...they are going to fly everywhere and there is no way to realistically catch them with a DC....many folks have tried to find a way and the result is...NOT!

Ok Jim, you got me convinced.............maybe there are gonna be a few chips here and there.

When I originally designed my shop, I intended to build something like a shower curtain around the lathe to limit the chippings from flying all over. I may have to resolve back to that idea. I dont know why, but the chippings everywhere just bug me.........a little pet peeve I guess I need to get over :-)

Alright boss, Im gonna build the floor sweep (since 2 of my most respected woodworkers call for them) and see how that works with the shower curtain surround.

thanks bud......

Jim Becker
04-05-2005, 9:11 PM
Rob, the curtin idea is something that a number of folks I know do to help control the extent of the chip dispersal in their shops! It makes cleanup easier since you limit the amount of stuff that makes it to the other side of the room and into that can of finish you forgot to put the top on...

Anthony Yakonick
04-05-2005, 9:48 PM
I could kill your floor sweeps and collector in a day of rough turning four 45gal trash cans in four hours ;) :D

don't worry about the chips...they are going to fly everywhere and there is no way to realistically catch them with a DC....many folks have tried to find a way and the result is...NOT!
Agreed

Jeff Sudmeier
04-06-2005, 8:18 AM
I use a port behind my lathe to catch the sanding dust and finishing fumes. Other than that, let 'er fly. You just can't create enough suction to get the chips to change directions :)

Bart Leetch
04-06-2005, 8:34 AM
I can understand a floor sweep on a cyclone system like Jim's but I don't think its a good idea on a regular DC system where the chips go through the fan. To clean up the chips from the lathe & the floor in the shop I use my 16 gal shop vac. Call me chicken but I just know I'll suck up something I don't want going through the fan :eek: with a floor sweep.

Jim Becker
04-06-2005, 9:18 AM
I can understand a floor sweep on a cyclone system like Jim's but I don't think its a good idea on a regular DC system where the chips go through the fan. To clean up the chips from the lathe & the floor in the shop I use my 16 gal shop vac. Call me chicken but I just know I'll suck up something I don't want going through the fan :eek: with a floor sweep.

Yes, I mentioned this in my original reply. Floor sweeps should only be used with a cyclone system that has the blower AFTER the separation...never with a single stage DC where the material passes through the impeller. A system that has even mediocre performance can and will pick up bits of metal, such as nails, and those could spark when they hit the impeller.

Roger Bell
04-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I have a dust pickup behind the lathe for sanding, like others. For chips flying towards me, I limit the amount of cleanup by placing a refridgerator box (about chin tall x longer than the lathe wide) behind me. (I tried the shower curtain thing but found it in the way when not in use). Cut out the top and bottom of the box and make one cut up one side to yield a folding panel with four joints. The folds of the box can be arranged to make a semicircular cubby behind you, with the two cut edges wrapping towards the ends of the lathe. Nearly all the chips will hit either you, the wall behind the lathe or the cardboard screen behind you and fall to the floor. The amount of floor area requiring sweeping is thereby minimized. Very little escapes the boxed-in den. I have a length of dedicated hose connected to a drop in the DC that sucks it all up from the floor and cleans up around the lathe.

The fridge box is folded and placed in the plywood storage area.

Rob Littleton
04-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My wonderful wife is in the process (right now as we speak bless her heart) of making me some curtains. I added a rail around the lathe this weekend and will get pics of the final result as soon as the drapes are made.

I made the rail out of EMT conduit and floor flanges. I went up in the attic and screwed the middle of the rail to the joists. It "should" take my weight when all said and done (OK, maybe not MY weight, but the weight of a regular sized adult man).

I think I left enough room that when the curtain is retracted, it should stow out the way. Not quiet sold on the tie back thingys the wife wants to add. We can talk about that later :-). Flowers in a shop AINT gonna work....hehe

Jack Wood
04-11-2005, 7:01 AM
I cut a hole out directly in the table beneath the rails near the the tail stock end of my lathe and inserted an large AC vent piece, and covered that with hardware cloth to prevent my tools and such from being sucked in. Chips will build up but I just stir them around some and down they go! Of course my floor is still covered with large chips but actually I like seeing that, makes me feel like I'm doing something:D But where this setup really shines is in dust collection from sanding. Hardly a smidgen gets out away from the inlet.

Bob Oswin
04-15-2005, 12:30 AM
I just used some coroplast and a couple of 3/4" plywood ends that I mounted under the ways on my old machine.
I bought a new Delta 1642 and intend to do the same again.

Bob

http://www3.telus.net/public/ident/Drews%20woodstuff/lathe-box.jpg