PDA

View Full Version : White entertainment center built in

Craig D Peltier
05-25-2012, 9:48 AM
Heres a while built in with beadboard back, under hearth storage and inset doors I just finished. Pretty basic for me I have built so many of these. I alos did there kitchen but no good pics of that yet. I cut out a hole for the woofer to sit in the carpet as to ward away any vibration. There's also holes cut in the floor of the cabinet under the overhang of the toekick to allow air flow, shaped in an arch. backs of shelves are cut out in Av cab as well to allow easy passing of cords.

Carl Babel
05-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Nice built in. I especially like the under hearth storage.

Making a built in entertainment center has been on my honey-do list for a long time. This layout is very close to what I would need and I would like to shamelessly copy that under hearth storage. Do you have any "before" pictures?

Craig D Peltier
06-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Heres the one picture of before I have, The main goal was to lower there TV, the old mantle was so high.

Phil Thien
06-02-2012, 1:31 PM
Looks great, Craig. What did you use as a finish. Anything you would have done differently?

Craig D Peltier
06-02-2012, 7:28 PM
Looks great, Craig. What did you use as a finish. Anything you would have done differently?

Finish is two coats primer and one coat lacquer color matched.Semi gloss.

Its there layout and my design details. I have built so many of these that I have my way so its pretty fine tuned. I have one going in next week and one about 3 weeks later.

Phil Thien
06-02-2012, 8:20 PM
Well, practice obviously makes perfect!

Carl Babel
06-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Wow, that TV was really high up. As I flip back and forth between the Before and After pictures, I can really appreciate your new design: minimal mantel thickness balanced with good proportions.

Mike Hollis
12-12-2012, 7:16 PM
Craig,

If you don't mind me asking, how deep are the cabinets on either side? The wife wants me to build something similar but the cabinets would have to be ~ 22" deep or so to be able to store 20" splits for the fireplace insert.

Thanks,

Mike

Craig D Peltier
12-14-2012, 4:56 PM
There usually adjusted per each cutomer due to need ( woofer) ( hearth)( board games). They usually range from 18-22 and most being around 20 inches. They either will go past the hearth slightly or end 1 inch or more before them but never same depth.

Mike Hollis
12-14-2012, 8:24 PM
Thanks Craig.

Andrew Kertesz
12-15-2012, 6:44 AM
Looks good but I wonder long term how the TV and the heat from the fireplace is going to react. Normally not recommended to put a flat screen TV above a fireplace.

Harry Hagan
12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Looks good but I wonder long term how the TV and the heat from the fireplace is going to react. Normally not recommended to put a flat screen TV above a fireplace.

Subjecting your electronic devices to avoidable heat sources such as air heated by fireplaces is definitely not recommended. Soot laden air compounds the problem by coating electronic components and lessens their ability to shed heat and worsens as the soot accumulates.

And the proper viewing height for the TV . . .

Craig D Peltier
12-16-2012, 11:26 AM
It doesn't make a difference to most people out here about the heat issue. I wouldn't ever recommend it if it were a wood burning fireplace. %99 of them are gas that I have run into and %75 of those have blowers which blows heat out not up.
This TV was at least another 10-12 inches higher, that was there complaint, I rebuilt the mantle area and added side cabinets. People get so technical about viewing angles , as long as your neck isnt looking way up its not an issue. My parents have had a flat screen on a stand sitting on the floor for years and it works just fine for viewing no neck pain. Same with people above mantles, I can see if your sitting on the floor like you live in a tribe it might be an issue.