PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Spalted Box Elder Bowl

Prashun Patel
05-25-2012, 9:13 AM
11". This fell in a co-worker's yard. It was so stinky and lovely to turn.
Finished with shellac and wax. C&C welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2012, 9:53 AM
Lots going on in this bowl!! Love the colors! Nice bead work at the rim but I am not 100% on the sharp edge at the lip. My experience is that they get dinged/dented real easily. Sure is pretty!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-25-2012, 9:59 AM
Prashun,
I applaud your efforts at adding detail to your work. The shallow recess in the bottom and the cove under the rim all add interest. I'm not a big fan of once turned bowls but I know many people like the natural look it yields. I believe this is once turned unless the photo is playing tricks on my eyes. It looks like the rim has already begun to raise on the long grain ends. In any event, well done.
faust

Prashun Patel
05-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Faust-
You are right, the bowl has cupped a little. This is twice-turned, but I obviously did not wait long enough. Sadly, it's the last of my rough outs. I was hoping to get ONE that was warp free.

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice looking bowl and the color looks great. Nice beading on the rim.

John Keeton
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Nice detail work, though I would agree on the sharp rim, and I wonder whether the interior detail would hold remnants of whatever might be placed in the bowl. Might make it difficult to clean.

Prashun Patel
05-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Truth be told, 90% of the bowls I turn are decorative and not extremely functional. Especially one like this that is finished with shellac. Further, it smelled so funky when turning, and is spalted, so there's something psychologically unappetizing about putting any naked food in there.

My wife uses this one for bananas.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-25-2012, 1:17 PM
Prashun,
Shellac is not a bad food finish. It just won't stand up to alcohol very well. The funky odor means the spalting has not yet stopped. That's because there is still enough moisture in the wood to sustain growth. When you give it away or sell it, tell the new owner it is for holding mushrooms. ): It's still a beautiful bowl, Prashun.

Prashun Patel
05-25-2012, 2:06 PM
Faust-
The odor is not still coming out; it was just when initially turned. I'm sure the spalting has stopped. I was just saying i'm prejudiced vs eating out of it bkz of how it once smelled...

Jim Burr
05-25-2012, 3:48 PM
Dude...you had a fully turned and finished bowl drop from a friends tree? I need to hang out in your neighborhood! Cool rim treatment and finish!

Baxter Smith
05-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Great piece of wood Prashun and you made a nice bowl.

Michelle Rich
05-26-2012, 5:28 AM
now that is pretty wood! luv the beads