PDA

View Full Version : practicing with new hollowing rig

Tim Chase
05-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Just a simple elm hollow form 2 7/8" H x 2 3/4" D 1 1/8" opening was smaller. Now a bit larger due to a dash of inattention? is that a word?
Oh well I did for sure learn that you must be careful when extracting the borring bar from hollow forms that are still spinning.
I guess thats what its all about spinning and learning.
All comments and critiques welcome.232895232896
Tim

Marty Eargle
05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Inattention...certainly a word. Not one that is commonly used, but its in the dictionary. ;)

This piece looks good to me. I know one of the unspoken rules to hollowing is to the get opening as small as possible, but sometimes a wider opening looks fine with certain forms/applications. Congrats on the new rig!

Eric Holmquist
05-25-2012, 4:43 AM
Nice job. The opening while bigger than some, is still small enough relative to the widest diameter to retain the wow factor.

John Keeton
05-25-2012, 6:13 AM
Very nice vase, Tim! Great looking wood, too.
Oh well I did for sure learn that you must be careful when extracting the borring bar from hollow forms that are still spinning.Actually, the rule is NEVER extract the boring bar while the form is spinning! I don't care how many you do and what level of experience you have hollowing, if you continue this practice, you will continue to have larger openings than intended - or simply blow them up!:eek: I know of what I speak!:o:D

Alan Trout
05-25-2012, 8:44 AM
It is a wonderful form especially for starting out. This one would look nice with some sort of lid. Remember all mistakes can become design opportunities.

Stopping a lathe before removing a boring bar is is pretty important part of the process. I ordered my new Robust AB with a foot stop switch just for this purpose so I can keep both hand on the hollowing rig. Like John and you I have learned my lessons the hard way.

Nice work,

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Tim - form looks pretty good to me!

As mentioned, shutting the lathe off BEFORE removing the cutter is one of those things we all get to learn. I still keep the very first vase I ever turned as a reminder to remove power! Thing is - with a Jet 1642 lathe - you have to reach around the spinning mass of wood in order to reach the on/off button! That is ridiculous as far as I am concerned!! So figured out a way to wire in my own remote on/off switch and have been aware of the cutter head ever since!!

Looking forward to seeing your next HF!

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Congrats on the hollowing rig. Nice form and yes as John said never remove the hollower while the piece is spinning. Been there and done that.

Steve Vaughan
05-25-2012, 11:08 AM
That's a nice form there! Love the color/grain too. And, just so ya know, I've got lots of 'larger than it should be' openings, but I ain't admitting it.

Baxter Smith
05-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Nice form Tim. Great looking practice piece!

Tim Chase
05-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks to all for the input I probably need to get a remote shut off set up. Like Steve said reaching for the stop button is another oportunity for bad things to happen. It doesn't seem very natural and for larger diam or deeper it gets harder to reach for a short guy like me.
Tim

ray hampton
05-27-2012, 5:18 AM
having a second on-off switch sound like a good idea for anyone with two hands, we can not be octopus with eight hands