PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for turning tools

Craig Coney
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I just purchased a used Turncrafter mini lathe and accessories, but didn't come with any turning tools. It's a 7x12 lathe, so I will be using it to turn small parts and maybe pens.

I'm looking for recommendations for tool sets.

I've only turned at Rockler or Woodcraft when they have a pen turning event, so I'm not certain what sizes would be best. I'm looking for something reasonably priced to start with.

Thanks

George Morris
05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the abyss ! If you buy a inexpensive set you will find it will not be of much use to you as you get better. I would recommend buying one at a time ,woodcraft rockler all have good tools. If you want the best buy from Thompson tools and turn your own handles for them. Just my thoughts. G

Marty Eargle
05-25-2012, 12:29 AM
I would definitely suggest browsing over to Penn State Industries and ordering their Benjamin's Best set ( http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html ). It is a great set of all the basic tools you will need to learn the basics, and you can't beat the quality for that price.

At this point, buying eight tools for less than you will pay for one high end gouge will be the smart move. While you'll be learning to use the tools, you'll also be learning to shape and sharpen the tools. You'll feel much better about grinding, grinding, and grinding some more when the tool cost $10 as opposed to $100. Plus, when you do get sharpening down, these tools hold an edge just about as good as most of their high priced alternatives. Many turners here will tell you that they started with Benjamin's Best tools and still use them to this day.

Welcome to the vortex!

Michelle Rich
05-25-2012, 7:09 AM
Marty hit the nail on the head, for all the reasons he advised...

Craig Coney
05-25-2012, 1:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try one of the Benjamin's Best set.

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2012, 9:19 PM
Craig I agree with Marty. I started some years ago with that set and still use most today. Some have repurposed but still useable.