PDA

View Full Version : Hey you creative types... any ideas to make this 'widgit' ?

Mike vonBuelow
05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Would like it to be clear acrylic, it will be used to hold up coins on a wall mounted plaque so that the coins can be removed/changed out.

I will use two that are inserted/glued into the plaque:
- the coin will rest on/sit in-between the 1.5" part of the posts
- the coin will be held in/prevented from falling out by the flange

Any thoughts?

Resin mold perhaps?

I really don't feel like cutting hundreds of acrylic dowels and trying to glue them on to discs.... but I guess if I must, I could line a bunch up and laser cut them that way. Then get a jig to make them vertically nice and straight while the glue dries.

Would like not to have a hole in the center of the disc... but that might alleviate the need for a jig.

:confused:

Bruce Boone
05-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Cutting the discs on the laser and cutting the rod to length and gluing them is the most practical way. You have a few options for the glueing; you could locate the rod to center with fixturing, you could do a counterbored hole on a mill and set the rod halfway in a blind hole, or you could cut through with the laser. The last option has the advantage of not losing your zero point to locate the center. The press fit will work well for a capillary action type glue bond. A different option would be to simply engrave a 1/4" circle on the lasered disc for a visual reference of where to glue the rod. This again uses the fact that the zero point is not moved between the engraved circle and the outer cut. No fixturing needed; just nice square cut rods.

I can't see any way that casting them would be easier than doing that.

Rich Harman
05-25-2012, 2:51 PM
Depending upon the quantity you need, injection molding would work well. Very easy mold to make for that.

Mike vonBuelow
05-25-2012, 2:58 PM
Thanks all

Kasey Maxwell
05-26-2012, 2:03 PM
http://www.usplastic {DOT} com/
http://www.eplastics {DOT} com/
http://www.mcmaster {DOT} com/
http://www.delviesplastics {DOT} com/

Mark Sipes
05-26-2012, 9:50 PM
Would like to see what the "thing" (s) are mounted into. just to get a handle on the whole project. might be a better way to mount......

Eric DeSilva
05-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Might it be easier to use thicker--say 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic rod and cut a diagonal slot in the side for the coin to slip into? Or maybe heat the acrylic and bend the tip to 90 degrees as a stop?

Mike vonBuelow
05-27-2012, 9:09 PM
Mark,

They will be sticking out of a piece of wood, to be hung on a wall, for a "merit coin" display. Coins can be changed out
I will put two posts nest to eachother where the coin will rest inbetween.

Eric,

The 90-degree idea was entertained - thanks though.
A diagonal slot would work, but I don't have the tools.

:)

Neil Pabia
05-28-2012, 2:25 PM
I can make you a silicone mold for that, all you would have to do is pour either Alumilkite or polyacrylic resin in and let it set, then pop it out and repeat.

Mike vonBuelow
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Neil, can you make one that does many at a time? 20, 50, ...?

Going to try some prototype work tonight and see what I can come up with

Neil Pabia
05-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I can give it a try.

Neil, can you make one that does many at a time? 20, 50, ...?

Going to try some prototype work tonight and see what I can come up with

Mike vonBuelow
06-02-2012, 8:41 PM
Looks like I made the solution, with some luck from usplastic, using clear screws...

Very excited since this issue was stopping a major project I was thinking about doing... so for now it's back on!

Weeeeeeeee!

Rodne Gold
06-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Are all the coins the same size? there must be a more elegant way if its only for one size coin....

Mike vonBuelow
06-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Rodney,

No, they range from 1.5" up to 2", so I sized it to barely hold the smallest one. The rest, obviously, sit higher up - hence the need for the front piece to hold them (remember this coin holder hangs on a wall, so there is a slight chance for the coin to fall forward & out)

The threads will mostly (90%) be sitting inside the wooden piece, only the clear part and the flange (which I think will work nicely to hold the cross-piece) will be visible. Plus, once a coin is perched up, it will become hidden.

Rodne Gold
06-03-2012, 3:08 AM
If you had to cut a small slot in the sides of the studs slightly thicker than the coin and slightly sloped backwards , you wouldn't need the cross piece.

Mike vonBuelow
06-03-2012, 9:58 AM
True - but I don't have the means to do that economically.

And, still like the 'safety net'

Plus the chevron design fits into the shape of the plaque nicely.

I truly appreciate everyone's input! SMC rocks!