PDA

View Full Version : New US made Nicholson rasps pics compared to old stock Nicholson rasps and labradors?

Gary Herrmann
05-24-2012, 9:48 PM
I thought that might get you to look.

From left to right or top to bottom, depending on the pic:

Nicholson 46, 49, 50 and 55.

The 49 and 50, I bought a few years ago on sale. The 46 and 55 are a couple I just got from Walt. They're in great shape. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 55 is about 25 tpi.

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the relative tooth sizes. The 46 and 55 also seem to have sharper teeth. I also remember reading somewhere that Nicholson made last makers cabinet rasps that numbered from 1 - 10. I've never seen any.232878232879232880

I was going to put them to some wood and share pics, but I have been told I need to cut the dog nails. So that will have to wait. Ironically, I use a cheap import 4 in hand to get rid of the sharp edges ever since SWMBO got nicked by an overly exuberant lab shortly after a nail cutting session with dad.

When are labs not overly exuberant? While they're sleeping, duh.

David Weaver
05-24-2012, 11:30 PM
my brazil 50 doesn't look nearly as good as any of those. the teeth are bigger on it, they look like the sydney opera house except rounded, and they are dull. The sides are just mangled, too.

That was a good buy on those, it's likely that the older ones have better sharper teeth because they were more carefully made than the newer ones.

george wilson
05-25-2012, 9:03 AM
The question is,are they hardened properly? Take a USA made Nicholson smooth file,and try filing a little bevel on the front corner of the new rasps. Those triangular files I got(Mexican) look just prefect,but the surfaces are quite soft to well below the gullets of the teeth. Any softness AT ALL will allow the tips of the rasp teeth to round right over quickly.

Test them thusly and please report back.

Bill White
05-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Dog nails? Sounds like something George used to make at Williamsburg. :)
Bill

Gary Herrmann
05-25-2012, 3:36 PM
The question is,are they hardened properly? Take a USA made Nicholson smooth file,and try filing a little bevel on the front corner of the new rasps. Those triangular files I got(Mexican) look just prefect,but the surfaces are quite soft to well below the gullets of the teeth. Any softness AT ALL will allow the tips of the rasp teeth to round right over quickly.

Test them thusly and please report back.

Hey George. Took a 12" Nichloson smooth from my Father's shop and tested all 4 with half a dozen strokes. I got a tiny little shiny part on each about the size of the tip of a small finish nail - but the corners are still there. This did leave some faint scratches on the file.

Then I took 3 strokes on a rasp I picked up in one of those big sets they sell at Sams. I removed the corner.

So I think that means the USA made rasps are properly hardened, but you tell me.

george wilson
05-28-2012, 7:00 AM
I am not sure what the size of the tip of a small finishing nail is. I need to check my old #49's and see if I can file ANY off of them. Been laid up with a return of spinal stenosis for a few weeks,and haven't gotten out to the shop lately.

If you mean that you managed to make a sharp corner shiny,but the corner is still sharp,all should be well.

Gary Herrmann
05-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes, that would be the better way to put it George, I could not deform the shoulder on the US made Nicholsons, and did so easily and with half the strokes on the import.

Hope you feel better soon.