PDA

View Full Version : WW'ers Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
02-17-2003, 1:59 AM
Well....I managed to get a LOML's salt and pepper shakers made and the last coat of Antique Oil Finish is currently drying. I managed to strain the tendon in the rear of my heal on Saturday and had to spend today with it wrapped and sitting in a chair. This too shall pass.

I will get the pics posted or at least shared with you this week sometime.

Best of Weeks,
Dennis

Joe Suelter
02-17-2003, 9:03 AM
Shovel snow, fight the flu, shovel another round of snow.

Bob Lasley
02-17-2003, 9:10 AM
Dennis,
Growing old is not without its trials and tribulations............ so what's your excuse for this injury? :D

I got absolutely no woodworking done. Spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday driving to San Marcos, TX and back pulling a 20' trailer, empty going down, 8000 lbs of equipment coming back.

Needless to say, that truck seat was quite tired of me by the time we got in yesterday evening.

Have a good week all,
Bob

Jason Roehl
02-17-2003, 9:32 AM
Well, since my county has been on a snow emergency since Friday night, I have done zip, zilch, zero since taking an hour to drive home from V-day dinner (normally 20-25 min) in blowing snow with my wife following me.

Okay, I guess I did get some TV, beer and nap time, in addition to getting strangely addicted to this msg board, but not much else. I am very patiently waiting for winter to end!

Jason

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2003, 9:58 AM
Hello Everyone,

I spent the weekend working on my blower for the cyclone.

I tore down the ducts I just put up 2 months age to reconfigure to the cyclone. Man is that work!!!! Not exactly shop time in the wwing sense , but better than real work!!

Everyone have a good week!!

Terry

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-17-2003, 10:15 AM
As I posted on the Pond, I finished rushing four chairs and got the moldings back on. Too cold to work on the bureau but hopefully will get on that today. It is supposed to get up to 60 degrees. I have to get that thing out of my shop so I can straighten up a bit.

Howard Barlow
02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
I had a burglar in my gargage about 2:30 Wednesday morning. He was browsing through things he could carry. He had pulled an old rotten plywood edge off the garage wall to gain entry.

Speed is the friend of the burglar. This guy had no friends. He was shopping. I considered going out there alone, but I knew he would be gone through the wall before I got the door unlocked.

Anywho, I called PD. They were waitng for him when he stepped out of the garage.

I had to bandage the wall til Saturday. So, that's how I spent my weekend, replacing the whole corner of my garage. I went ahead and added a passage door so I don't have to open the overhead to get to the yard and my shop.

Burglary of a building. HA! I love it.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-17-2003, 11:04 AM
I managed to rough out another small bowl from the green cherry I acquired a couple of weeks ago. It's 6 1/2 inches across by 4 inches deep. I love turning the green wood and seeing the grain patterns show up. I'm trying to leave a little of the light wood as contrast on the bowls. Now all I have to do is sand and finish. Not much else to do with the snow and ice around. Happy turning!

Joe Suelter
02-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Good job, Howard! I'd say you get an "atta-boy" for catching him in the act. Wish we all could be so lucky.

Mike Mastin
02-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Sounds like that you might have found a little big iron.....?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2003, 11:38 AM
I sprayed the weeds in the yard and put down a preemergence herbicide for spring germinating weeds. and moved a couple of plants that have outgrown their present locations.

I finally put the last coat of wipe-on poly on a table I made for my daughter.

Put some facing on the plywood shop cabinets I made last month.

Bob Lasley
02-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Mike,

It was big iron, but the wrong kind. I picked up to military surplus resistive/reactive load banks for testing generators. This was for the day job which in this case was also the weekend job. The LOML went with me so we were able to spend some time together. She swears that will be the last time she rides with me in that truck pulling a loaded trailer. She couldn't snooze for all the bouncing and jerking.

Bob

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-17-2003, 1:01 PM
I made some real progress on my Wood Storage rack this weekend and plan to finish it next Saturday.

Dennis Peacock
02-17-2003, 1:21 PM
Will you please send me a pic of your wood storage you are doing? I am considering the chore of redoing mine and am thinking through designs. I kinda like the sounds of your ideas and would like to see it....even in progress.

Thanks,
Dennis - :D

George Meadows
02-17-2003, 3:05 PM
Redid my downdraft table to make it more efficient, i.e. seal the holes around the edges. Worked on cutting out a Jake's chair since the two I built last spring got blown down the driveway during a fall wind storm.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
02-17-2003, 3:24 PM
Does the sound of a snow blower in 20-25 mph winds sound familiar to anyone? The weather really stunk this weekend...but...a couple years ago I bought a 2 stage sno blower that for all intents sat for that whole time. This weekend, I got to really give it a workout.

Ended up clearing my drive 4 (I did say 4) times over the course of the weekend. I can't really complain...I like the feel of power dong what my back had done for years!! I ended up going down the street and doing 5 of my neighbors drives....felt good to help and I got my power fix!!

Back to woodworking next weekend!!

Kurt

Rick Stewart
02-17-2003, 4:22 PM
I'm in the process of setting up my small basement shop and also in the need of a wood storage rack. I would be interested in looking at your setup also. So if you are sending out pics I would appreciate it if you added my name to the list.

Thanks,
Rick...:D

Howard Barlow
02-17-2003, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
Will you please send me a pic of your wood storage you are doing? I am considering the chore of redoing mine and am thinking through designs. I kinda like the sounds of your ideas and would like to see it....even in progress.

Thanks,
Dennis - :D

Have you seen Andrew's pics he posted for you?

Rik Rickerson
02-17-2003, 8:57 PM
Trying to finish building and installing the kitchen cabinets in our new house. Hard to do with a 3 mo old little girl needing attention as well. All in good time.

Rik

John Sanford
02-18-2003, 6:29 PM
Thursday, I bought a 43" tall Kobalt mechanic's tool rollaway at Lowe's, 6 ball bearing drawers and a "project" sort of top, for $177. Sadly, I found out that it wouldn't fit into my car. So, Friday I met a minivan owning friend there to pick it up. Decided "what they hey" and checked out the Freud SD208 8" stacked dados. OOPsie, they'd plunked the wrong price on the shelf. (Brand new Lowe's doing its "Grand Opening"). Well, I just couldn't resist saving nearly $50 on it. So now I FINALLY have a Dado blade. (Too bad it wasn't Albertson's instead, if so the dado set would have been FREE to me.)

I also scored a less toolsy implement, a Hoover V2 Steamvac, for $222 via their 10% price match. Dog + variable hours away from home = need for carpet cleaning.

I even managed to put up the last four light fixtures for my shop and their respective conduit runs over the weekend.

Not bad, considering that I was riding herd on 3 junior highschool boys.

Al Mann in Miami
02-18-2003, 6:44 PM
Good move, Howard. Glad you caught the bad guy without loss or injury.

Uncle Al

keith zimmerman
02-18-2003, 7:16 PM
Spent the weekend snowed in. We got 7.5" of the lovely stuff from Friday afternoon through Sunday night. Not much snow until the wind is factored in. 25-30 mph Friday through Sunday morning when it dropped to 15-20. We got our 4x4 Blazer out Sunday afternoon by driving out across a soybean field to a farm access. Finally got plowed out on Monday morning.