PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blade Sharpening Service

Jerry Thompson
05-24-2012, 8:22 PM
I will soon need to have a few 10'' and one 12'' saw blade sharpened. One is a WWII, one is a Freud rip, one is a CMT cross cut and the 12'' is a DeWalt from my SCM.
After reading, over the past severl months, that Woodworker may not be the best choice I would like reccomendations for a service that sharpens as well as I experienced with Woodworker in the past.

Van Huskey
05-24-2012, 8:28 PM
I am a big fan of Ridge http://ridgecarbidetool.com/sharpening/

Steven Satur
05-24-2012, 9:10 PM
+1 Forrest

Steve

Danny Hamsley
05-24-2012, 9:33 PM
Forrest Manufacturing will re-sharpen them, not only the WWII, but the other blades as well.

Bruce Wrenn
05-24-2012, 9:53 PM
Forrest Manufacturing will re-sharpen them, not only the WWII, but the other blades as well.Dynamic saw (dynamicsaw.com) will do as good if not better than Forrrest, but at less than half the price. Check out their prices, and the equipment they use. Ship blades to them in a flat rate box from post office, call them up and give CC info. Two weeks later UPS guy brings blades back that are better than new. That's been my experience. Wish I could say the same for Forrest, but I DEFINITELY CAN'T!

mickey cassiba
05-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Around here, Cook Industrial is the place to go...no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Jim O'Dell
05-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I used Cook on my Systematic plastics/laminate blade and it came out great! They have a coupon on their web site where they will sharpen one blade per customer free, and free return shipping. I'll have no problem sending any future blades to them at regular price. Jim.

Van Huskey
05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I have used all of the above and though I haven't had a "bad" experience with Forrest my blades seem to come back better from all three of the others, Forrest used to be THE carbide saw company, but others have caught and in my opinion past them. It doesn't hurt that the other are cheaper also!

http://www.dynamic-saw-blade-sharpening.com/
http://ridgecarbidetool.com/sharpening/
http://www.cookssharpening.com/

Cook actually has a free sharpening offer for new customers on their site so it is hard to go wrong there since they do EXCELLENT work as well.

Oops Jim beat me to the coupon while I was typing

Kevin W Johnson
05-24-2012, 10:50 PM
What's the best method for packing mutiple blades? I know that they need to be separated to prevent tooth damage......

Tom Walz
05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Thin piece of scrap material such as plywood between the blades. Maybe 2 sheets of cardboard. Bless you for thinking of that.

Danny Hamsley
05-25-2012, 9:46 PM
I looked at the website and Dynamic-saw is much cheaper. Thanks for the lead.

Van Huskey
05-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Thin piece of scrap material such as plywood between the blades. Maybe 2 sheets of cardboard. Bless you for thinking of that.

Tom, let me guess you have seen a couple of chipped teeth courtesy of USPS/UPS?? I know it is overkill but I have a couple of squares of hardboard near the width of a flat rate box and use hardboard spacers between the blades and on the outside. I actually have a bolt and nut to hold it all together then wrap it in bubble wrap, my name is on the contraption and oddly enough it has always been shipped back to me, I never expected it to be and if it doesn't one day it won't bother me since I usually wait until I have about 5 blades to send and I don't mind loosing some scrap and a bolt, nut and a couple of washers to protect what is probably over $600 worth of blades.

Kevin W Johnson
05-26-2012, 5:31 PM
Tom, let me guess you have seen a couple of chipped teeth courtesy of USPS/UPS?? I know it is overkill but I have a couple of squares of hardboard near the width of a flat rate box and use hardboard spacers between the blades and on the outside. I actually have a bolt and nut to hold it all together then wrap it in bubble wrap, my name is on the contraption and oddly enough it has always been shipped back to me, I never expected it to be and if it doesn't one day it won't bother me since I usually wait until I have about 5 blades to send and I don't mind loosing some scrap and a bolt, nut and a couple of washers to protect what is probably over $600 worth of blades.

Is that one sharpening service in particular? Or have you shipped it to different places and always gotten it back?

Jim O'Dell
05-26-2012, 8:40 PM
When I sent the Systi blade to Cook, I used the cardboard "wrapper" that the blade came in. I put my name and address on both the blade and the wrapper. Wrapper came back with no extra wear on it, and again the blade was perfect! They etched my name in the body of the blade. Jim.

Kevin W Johnson
05-26-2012, 9:19 PM
When I sent the Systi blade to Cook, I used the cardboard "wrapper" that the blade came in. I put my name and address on both the blade and the wrapper. Wrapper came back with no extra wear on it, and again the blade was perfect! They etched my name in the body of the blade. Jim.

I like the etched name idea.

Has anyone found a price list on Cook's website? If it's there, I'm overlooking it. I'm wondering how they compare to Dynamic. Ridge is quite a bit more expensive than dynamic, on a 50T blade, it's $10 difference, $22 vs. $12. Send in 5 blades, and it's substantial.