PDA

View Full Version : Apple Wood Pepper Mills

Dale Winburn
05-24-2012, 5:31 PM
A friend gave me an apple tree that was blown down by a wind storm. I made a bowl as a "thank you" gift for my friend. Here's two pepper mills made from the tree.

Some people say that apple wood is bad to crack and split, I've had good luck with this wood. I have several bowls rough turned and several pepper mill blanks with sealed ends. They seem to be drying OK.

Apple wood is a beautiful wood and really turns nice.

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are welcome.

Dale

Steve Vaughan
05-24-2012, 5:37 PM
I'm not big on salt and pepper mills, haven't made any yet, and don't know much about apple either, but these are really nice looking. Hoping the apple behaves and does well for you. My gut tells me you'll do just fine with these!

Roger Chandler
05-24-2012, 5:58 PM
Beautiful work again, Dale! Your pepper mill shape has almost become a signature of your mills. I think part of the reason you have such good success with drying is because you have that attic space........it gives you almost a kiln like atmosphere...of course in really hot weather it can be a bit too hot.

Nice stuff! Be sure to bring them to the meeting on June 2nd!

Jim Burr
05-24-2012, 6:26 PM
Great applewood work Dale! Having had the pleasure of turning a few pieces of wet apple, turn to thickness and DNA has always worked for me. The shapes are great! They look like traditional grind mechanism's. Have you tried crush grind yet? I haven't either...just wondering.

Dale Winburn
05-24-2012, 6:53 PM
Jim, They are the traditional grind mechanisms, haven't tried the crush grind mills either. May try them someday.

Sid Matheny
05-24-2012, 7:10 PM
They both look really great. I too have had good luck with apple wood and love turning it.

Sid

Baxter Smith
05-24-2012, 8:03 PM
Very pretty Dale. I like the simple design of number 1! A very nice curve that lets one focus on the wood!

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Those are nice Dale. I really like the apple wood. My eye keeps going to the first one.

Kathy Marshall
05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Those look great Dale! That apple wood sure is pretty too!

John Keeton
05-25-2012, 6:19 AM
Dale, you certainly did a nice job on these, and the wood has a beautiful color and warmth to it.

Michelle Rich
05-25-2012, 6:42 AM
very nicely turned mills..these would look great on any table

Pat Scott
05-25-2012, 9:50 AM
I like both mills as well. But since you asked for comments and critiques, here's my 2 cents.

On mill #1, it might be the angle of the picture but the bottom base diameter looks to be smaller than the top diameter. They're probably the same diameter, but when I make this shape I like to make the bottom a little bigger than the top. I think it looks more stable, less top heavy, and gives more flair to the curve. A 1/4" wider at the base makes a big difference.

On mill #2, for the mill top I would have tucked the curve in where it meets the top of the base. I would have continued the curve around all the way instead of bringing it back out. The curve of the top would flow down and continue with the curve on the base, and it makes the top appear lighter. Also where the adjusting nut meets the wood at the very top, it looks like the nut is just a bit larger than the wood. I would have made it the other way around, where the wood is just a bit larger.

Nice grain match on both. What finish did you use and did you sand or finish the insides?

Dale Winburn
05-25-2012, 1:41 PM
Pat,

Thanks for your comments.

Mill # 1 - The top and bottom are the same diameter, however, I think you may be right about having the bottom a little larger than the top. I will try that next time.

Mill # 2 - The wood at the top is the same size as the adjustment nut. I try to keep the wood and nut about the same size or maybe the wood slightly larger.

I use a home brew tung oil finish, I do sand the inside, oil the inside then sand again with a fine grit paper. I use a 3/4 wood inch dowel with a saw slit in the end for sand paper strips. I clamp the dowel in the my chuck and move the mill back and forth as the dowel spins.

Pat Scott
05-25-2012, 3:12 PM
Do you find when oiling the inside that you can't get rid of the smell? I've used Danish Oil on a few and it takes forever before the smell goes away. The last ones that I've made I switched to several thin coats of Shellac on the inside, and while it doesn't look as pretty as oil, at least it doesn't smell. Nothing worse than smelly pepper!

LOL, I also have a 3/4" dowel with a slot cut in the end for sandpaper. I only sand the inside to 100 grit, just enough to get rid of the fuzzies. I have the mill in my chuck and move the sandpaper in and out by hand. I'll have to try it your way and see which works better.

Mill #1 - here's a mill with a similar shape as yours. The bottom is 2-1/2" diameter, the top is 2-1/8". Gives you an idea of what I'm talking about with the base larger.

Mill #2 - The 1st pic is the very top of a mill showing how I make the wood a little larger than the knob. The 2nd pic shows how I tuck the bottom curve of the top all the way in. The curve of the top, and the diameter of the bottom end up at the same size.
232925 232926

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2012, 3:12 PM
Very nice work on both of these mills Dale! The wood sure has a rich color!!

Rob Price
05-26-2012, 2:48 PM
very nice indeed