PDA

View Full Version : How is everyone doing their edge banding?

Greg Portland
05-24-2012, 1:57 PM
I've recently been making a lot of small (single cabinet) projects out of veneer ply and melamine. I've been using a handheld iron to do the edge banding work and it takes a long time to iron it on & hand trim to fit. Is there a better way to do this without buying a $5k+ edge banding machine?

frank shic
05-24-2012, 1:59 PM
i use the fastcap fastedge product. it sticks really well and the 1mm PVC is much more durable than melamine. trimming it however will still take some time though...

Don Jarvie
05-24-2012, 2:02 PM
Greg, do it the same way as you. I do 2 sides (opposite) on 1 day then the other 2 the next. I use a utility knife to trim them down and then a block sander to finish up.

Matt Meiser
05-24-2012, 2:02 PM
+1000. I've used the Fastcap in real wood and PVC and won't go back. There's a PVC thats a perfect match to the prefinished maple I get at my local hardwood supplier. Shelves done in minutes, no finishing required. Its holding up well on the first project I used it on.

I just used up the last of the iron-on white I had--ordered Fastcap this time.

Don, Different days? Why?

On shelves I only did the front edge that shows. Anything I've done 4 sides, I do tow opposite sides, trim, and do the two remaining sides.

Greg Portland
05-24-2012, 2:37 PM
I wait a few minutes (i.e. the time it takes to attach the opposite side's edging) before trimming.

For the Fastcap guys; how long do you need to wait before trimming?

Matt Meiser
05-24-2012, 3:11 PM
At least until you stick it on. ;)

Jeff Monson
05-24-2012, 3:31 PM
i use the fastcap fastedge product. it sticks really well and the 1mm PVC is much more durable than melamine. trimming it however will still take some time though...

Wont a flush trim on a router work for this?

Jamie Buxton
05-24-2012, 3:40 PM
I can't stand veneer edgebanding. I use solid-lumber banding I cut to about .1" thick. I glue it on with PVA. I trim it flush with a handplane or a flush trim bit in a router.

frank shic
05-24-2012, 4:32 PM
i've tried trimming it with a router before but there's still some hardwork afterwards and it's so noisy for such a simple operation. i just use fastcap's edgeband trimmer, the virutex end trimmer and then a utility knife to get the edges really close.

Greg Portland
05-24-2012, 8:05 PM
Jamie, I agree r.e. making something decent... this is primarily for quick and dirty Melamine projects.

For trimming, I have one of those 2-sided trimmers that seems to work just fine. I use a wide chisel for the ends. It sounds like Fastcap is the way to go for what I'm doing.

frank shic
05-25-2012, 1:01 AM
the excess tape will stick to your shoes and the floor and the table if you're not careful! the fast cap roller is nice too :)