PDA

View Full Version : Best exterior Ipe table finish

John Hollander
05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm in the process of building an ipe table for our patio. This is my first time working with ipe so I'm a little bit out of my element. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good finish for ipe that will protect the ipe from splitting and from the sun, and also make the wood "pop"?

Andrew Pitonyak
05-24-2012, 3:36 PM
I know almost nothing about this, but would love to see a picture when you are finished....

You may find this of interest.

http://www.woodsthebest.com/ipe_decking/ipe_finishing.htm

Robert LaPlaca
05-24-2012, 4:00 PM
I'm in the process of building an ipe table for our patio. This is my first time working with ipe so I'm a little bit out of my element. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good finish for ipe that will protect the ipe from splitting and from the sun, and also make the wood "pop"?

Ipe is hard and dense, almost rock like, but you know this from making a table out of the material. I have used the Penofin for Hardwoods product on two different decks, it definitely makes the wood darker and makes Ipe pop, but it is not a low maintenance finish, it must be recoated every 4 to 6 months depending on the exposure.. Eventually the product builds enough so the re-coatings are less frequent..

The downside of using the product in North Carolina with a deck that has a south west exposure, is the treated decking must get over 120 degrees in the summer.. So I have kind of resigned myself to let the most recent deck to just go silver grey

Scott Holmes
05-24-2012, 5:20 PM
One of the beauties of Ipe is it really needs no finish. A wax or oil will need to be replenished ever few months; and tend to get slippery. Why not let it be?

sheldon pettit
05-24-2012, 6:57 PM
I agree with Scott !! In fact i believe it should just be left standing and not used at all, we got along without it and others for centuries.

Greg Portland
05-25-2012, 1:18 PM
Reasons to finish:
- Keeps the Ipe from turning silver
- Reduces mold & mildew accumulation on the wood

IMO, Penofin Hardwood Formula is the best option for Ipe. You could always try some kind of Marine varnish but I prefer the low gloss look of the Penofin.

Jim Matthews
05-25-2012, 1:27 PM
I used Marine Spar varnish on my backyard bench. The long stretchers in the seat are made from Ipe.
The "Spar" designation indicates a higher oil to resin ratio in the varnish, so it should withstand dimensional changes, outdoors.
If you choose one that has UV inhibitors, the color should stay constant.

If you're unhappy with the glossy look, scuff with an abrasive pad - satin and semigloss variants have additives designed to diffract light, and they make the finish less durable.

Scott Holmes
05-25-2012, 1:41 PM
If you want to retain the color of the Ipe then a marine varnish is best. Pick a marine varnish that is non poly. Go to a boat supply or marina to get the marine varnish. Expect to pay more than $35 per quart thwe good stuff is not cheap. Marine poly is cheap to buy and to make; you know the saying "you get what you pay for..."

Epifane is one of the best mairne varnishes.