PDA

View Full Version : Apple Wood

wes murphy
05-23-2012, 10:13 PM
How stable is apple wood? Meaning does it move much or is susceptible to cracks. I'm going to make some salt and pepper mills out of apple, I usually just turn them wet out of other woods and allow to dry, but since I've never turn apple ...

Wes

Roger Chandler
05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
apple will crack if you think about it! Beautiful wood to turn, and if you can turn and get soaked in DNA in short order, depending on how green it is then you might be able to pull it off.......it the wood has aged a good bit and has not cracked, you might have a better chance..........good luck

Reed Gray
05-24-2012, 12:59 AM
I would at least hollow it out a bit and rough turn the cylinder first, oh, and seal the end grain with walnut oil or what ever finish you are going to use, maybe wrap the outside. Fruit woods tend to be more prone to cracks than other woods. Wonderful colors and textures.

robo hippy

Dan Forman
05-24-2012, 4:09 AM
Not only cracks, but distorts pretty dramatically as it dries.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2012, 9:29 AM
Every time I tried to turn Apple - it cracked! We have a member in our turning club who is a production bowl turner and his favorite wood to turn is Apple. He roughs out the form, coats in anchorseal and lets them dry for a few months. If you are going to turn mills - then I agree with Reed in that you need to turn to form and hollow in order to give the wood a chance to dry evenly! Good luck!