PDA

View Full Version : noob questions

Albert Franks
05-23-2012, 9:22 PM
Hello all, I recently bought my first lathe, a Homecraft 46-230, and I have a few questions.

I need to remove the spindle, but do not have a brass knockout bar, what can I use that will not damage the part?

I purchased a Wood River chuck, but the threaded insert seems to be hanging up when I try to put it in the chuck, should the insert go in that tight? I'm worried about stripping the threads.

Can I use 3-in-1 to oil the bearings in the headstock?

Finally, should I tear down the head and tail stocks and oil (or WD 40) the parts? I'm not exactly sure on how to clean a lathe. It is pretty clean as is, but I do not know how long it has been since i was last used.

By the way, thanks for the info in the forum. I have already found the catalogs, diagrams, and manual for the lathe by searching the site.

Thanks,

Al

Michelle Rich
05-24-2012, 6:43 AM
Can't answer all your questions, but you can use the biggest diameter dowel that will fit into your headstock and whack it with a mallet..
Clean the threads on your chuck and your headstock..did you buy the right thread size? 1x8?? 3/4 x16? or other? i have no clue as to what a homecraft lathe requires.
Do you see a problem with that requires tearing down the headstock & tailstock?

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-24-2012, 7:35 AM
No need to tear down the spindles and lubricate unless the machine makes noises like the bearings are bad. Even at the time your lathe was manufactured sealed bearings were probably used. If there are no oil wells or zerk fittings, they are probably sealed bearings.
Buy a 1/4" or 5/16" diameter brass rod and turn a handle. Use that as a knock out rod to bump out your Morse taper attachments from inside the spindles.
As for the adapter/ chuck question, it sounds like you are saying the adapter will not go into the chuck. If this is correct, bring it back to Woodcraft and let them look. If the adapter will not fit your spindle, listen to Michelle's advice and check that you bought the proper threads. I believe you need 1' X 8 TPI for that lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2012, 7:49 AM
Albert - Welcome to the Creek!

I am not familiar with your lathe but you stated that you found the manual. If your lathe requires oil for the bearings - it will state it and also list the viscosity to use. I agree with Michelle on the chuck issue - make sure you have the correct threads first. Then find out if the chuck is not seating flush against the spindle shoulder. I have heard that there were issues a while back with the Wood River chucks not seating properly... so if you have issues with it - take it back to Woodcraft.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!!

Albert Franks
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I re-read the lathe manual, as far as the knockout bar, it states that I can use 1/4 inch brass or 1/2 inch steel or iron rod. I was looking for a brass rod, but can not find one in Battle Creek (Woodcraft and Johnson Workbench didn't have them in stock), so time to look for steel/iron. For oil, it says to use a "quality light machine for the Timken bearings. As far as tearing down the lathe, I don't see any issues with it, I just thought it would be nice to clean and lube before I started to use it. It is in really good shape, but I don't think that it has been used in a long time.

As far as the chuck, my issue is the insert adapter that fits the chuck onto the lathe is going into the chuck hard. I'm not reefing on it because I fear that I will strip the threads on the chuck. I have not tried to put it on the lathe because I need to knockout the spindle first. I'll call Woodcraft to see what they say about it.

I'll try to get some pics of the lathe up later. Once again, thanks.

Al

Albert Franks
05-24-2012, 10:33 AM

My (new to me) 46-230 Delta Homecraft circa 1952. A friend bought it at auction some time ago, never used it, and let me have it for $50. I was looking for a lathe for pipemaking, I guess the first one will have to go to him as a thank you.

Bill White
05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
WD40 is not a lubricant per se. It is a cleaner (WD=water displacement).
Regardless of many opinions, it has no business in bearings. Of course there are some who swear that it also helps when sprayed on your sore knees.
Bill

Mike Cruz
05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Albert, I'm sorry but I don't have any info to help with your questions. I will, however, tell you (although you probably already know this) that that shelf of stuff and those blinds are gonna get SMOTHERED in shavings. You might want to either move the lathe, or put up a sheet of plywood or something... Also, having a window right behind the lathe could be asking for trouble if/when a blank gets airborn from your lathe. Just a word of caution... Best of luck with your "clean up". Doesn't look like it needs a lot.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
WOW! Nice score. It looks great for 50 bucks. I do see an oil fitting. I agree with Bill, WD-40 should used on your sore knees and NOT on your bearings. Oil sparingly, oil attracts dust/shavings. As everyone said, if it runs smooth and quiet, no fixing required. Be careful with those belts!

Welcome. Hang on to your wallet!

Jon Nuckles
05-24-2012, 1:40 PM
You might try one of the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards) for brass rod. Using something softer than the drive center will protect that from damage. Have fun and post pictures of your projects!

Albert Franks
05-24-2012, 3:10 PM
Decided to run up to GRand have Woodcraft look at the chuck insert. One of the guys took it to the back room and cleaned both inner and outer threads. Also picked up some dowel rod to use as a knockout for now. The dowel worked and the 4 jaw is now on the lathe. I have some 3-in-1 for the bearings, I guess that I was thinking WD-40 would help clean off some of the parts, but your right, it would attract a lot of dust. Thanks for the advice about the windows, I'll see if I can keep them and my fingers intact.

Al

Rick Markham
05-24-2012, 3:56 PM
If you want a cheap light machine oil you can use a 1:1 ratio of K1 kerosene, and Dexron IV. I use it on all my firearms, and have never had any problems. It's also what I use to lubricate various parts in my shop machinery, and a drilling lubricant if I'm drilling metals. Works great... cheap to boot!

Jamie Donaldson
05-24-2012, 5:23 PM
That's an old Delta Rockwell, and not a bad little lathe so long as you do mostly smaller turnings. It has a grease cup on the headstock that I assume lubes the spindle, so if an oil weight is not designated in the manual I would use regular ol' 30 weight, the universal oil lube. Some WD 40 and steel wool will have the old girl lookin' good in not time.