PDA

View Full Version : How much overhang is OK

Mike Hoyt
05-23-2012, 8:32 PM
Hi everyone I had something I wanted to run by you to see what the general thought was. I have been asked to build an island of sorts, using two layers of 3/4 ply glued and screwed, edge banded with solid wood for the top. The base would be regular base cabinets. It needs to have some overhang on both ends for stools. The customer wants around 12 inches of overhang and this is where my question comes in. Is this possible?

Thanks
Mike

fRED mCnEILL
05-23-2012, 8:37 PM
We have an island that has the same overhang only with granite that is on 3/4 in plywood. It hasn't been a problem but then we don't let anyone sit on the counter either. You could use brackets or corbells if you think it would be a problem. Plywood and solid wood will have some give to it whereas the ganite would have little or no give and would break but as I said no problem in 8 years.

Regards

Fred

Larry Edgerton
05-23-2012, 9:18 PM
I have had a couple of occasions where I needed a 16 inch or larger overhang with no corbels, 1 1/2" top. My solution was to route out matching 1/4" rabbits to recieve a 1/2" x 3" wide by 32" long chunk of mild steel laminated inside. Worked well. I have gone twelve with two sheets of plywood [not novaply] without any braces and no problems.

Larry

Mike Hoyt
05-23-2012, 9:24 PM
Ok great thanks guys I thought it would be ok but wanted the experts opinion :)

Mike

Sam Murdoch
05-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I would confidently go 12" overhang with the top you described - glue the ply - add solid wood edges. The under braces or routed in steel bands are helpful but not needed for your described top - even with an occasional sitter.

Larry Gipson
05-24-2012, 2:39 AM
Hi,

My first post.

A couple of years ago, before I returned to my woodworking hobby, we had the kitchen remodeled. It has granite counter-tops. The cabinets are 3/4" boxes with a single piece of 3/4" plywood covering the boxes. Slots are routed into the single piece of plywood every 2 ft or so to bury steel bars, which provide extra support for the overhang. These steel bars are about 2 1/2" wide, 1/4" thick, and span the box + overhang to within about 2" of the edge on both sides. The granite is laid on top of this and its weight keeps the bars in place. The overhang is about 10". The granite is 3/4" thick and has another piece of granite laminated on the edge to make it appear thicker. This also covers the plywood edge. I agree that if you're only using plywood, the bars probably aren't needed. If you want extra support, add some steel.

Regards,
Larry

Philip Loria
05-24-2012, 7:53 AM
My kitchen island has a 16" overhang and in 14 years it has not the least droop. It is 2 pieces of 3/4 birch ply glued and screwed together. Every 2' I routed in a groove to accommodate ¾ steel angle iron which I screwed and epoxied in place. The edge banding is 3/8” oak.

Greg Portland
05-24-2012, 2:01 PM
Hi everyone I had something I wanted to run by you to see what the general thought was. I have been asked to build an island of sorts, using two layers of 3/4 ply glued and screwed, edge banded with solid wood for the top. The base would be regular base cabinets. It needs to have some overhang on both ends for stools. The customer wants around 12 inches of overhang and this is where my question comes in. Is this possible?

Thanks
Mike

It sounds like you're not doing a veneer top; I would not glue solid wood onto the top of plywood, the counter will separate. Also, you'll want to finish both sides of the top. The island counter top in my house was not done this way and the table lifts off the cabinet each winter.