PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Taper Questions

Noah Barfield
05-23-2012, 6:15 PM
Last summer, I bought my first lathe, a Jet 1642-2. Since then, it's been an incredible learning experience, mostly positive. However, on a not so positive note, I recently realized that both my headstock and tailstock tapers have minor scratches in them (in the same location). Both the tapers on my drive center and my Jacobs chuck have corresponding scratches.

After doing some reading and research, I now know why the scratches happened and what to do about them in the future (clean the taper more and use a draw bar).

My questions are:

1) Is it worth replacing my drive center and Jacobs chuck so that the scratches on those don't make the scratches in the headstock / tailstock tapers worse?

2) Should I have the headstock / tailstock tapers reamed clean? If so, where do I take them to have this service done? There isn't a Jet dealership anywhere near me (I ordered my lathe from Amazon). Or should I just live with it? Is there a critical point / threshold where I should definitely have them reamed?

3) Will a drawbar and taper cleaner prevent future scratches or am I still missing a step?

Thanks!

Noah

Jim Burr
05-23-2012, 6:34 PM
Great lathe Noah!! I run a small towel soaked in isopropol alcohol through both head and tail stock twice a week. If you are getting big scratches, maybe there is something else going on...a burr, a poorly machined piece? Take a look with a light and see whats up. Scratches are expected over time...grooves are bad.

Harvey M. Taylor
05-23-2012, 6:36 PM
The headstock taper would be a real problem to take out and have a machinist ream it. the cheapest is to buy a reamer from a machine shop or rent one to fix it.throw away any damaged insert and start over with new. Craft supplies sells a plastic 'greenie' to clean with occasionally.Maybe this will help/ Max/

Sid Matheny
05-23-2012, 6:37 PM
You can get a #2 MT finish reamer to clean up the inside by hand. I would file/grind the male tapers to remove the burrs.

Sid

Roger Chandler
05-23-2012, 7:32 PM
I have gotten #2 morse taper reamer as well........you can ream the taper yourself with one............get one from Enco.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-4730&PMPXNO=3904656&PARTPG=INLMK3

phil harold
05-23-2012, 9:03 PM
Or the green weenie to clean it up
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=117902&Category_Code=lathes-acc-tapacc-tapmt

Ryan Baker
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
If the scratch is just cosmetic, forget about it. If there is any raised metal burr, that needs to be removed. The centers can be cleaned up easily with a file (gently, it doesn't take much). Just get it smooth -- no more than that. For the headstock and tailstock tapers, you need the #2 morse taper reamer to clean them up. Again go very slowly and carefully. You aren't trying to remove much metal, or even remove the scratch. You just need to remove any burr that sticks up.

Sid Matheny
05-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I got my reamer from Grizzly part # T10291.

Sid

Noah Barfield
05-24-2012, 12:34 AM
If the scratch is just cosmetic, forget about it. If there is any raised metal burr, that needs to be removed. The centers can be cleaned up easily with a file (gently, it doesn't take much). Just get it smooth -- no more than that. For the headstock and tailstock tapers, you need the #2 morse taper reamer to clean them up. Again go very slowly and carefully. You aren't trying to remove much metal, or even remove the scratch. You just need to remove any burr that sticks up.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but I'm still quite the newb--How do I tell the difference between a burr versus a cosmetic scratch? I can feel the scratch when I stick my finger in the taper, but it isn't sharp like the burr on my cabinet scraper.

Noah

Noah Barfield
05-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Follow-up newb questions: If I get a taper reamer, how do I use it? Do I turn it by hand? How much pressure should I use? Should the lathe be turning or off?

Noah

Roger Chandler
05-24-2012, 6:28 AM
Follow-up newb questions: If I get a taper reamer, how do I use it? Do I turn it by hand? How much pressure should I use? Should the lathe be turning or off?

Noah

Yes, you turn it by hand using a wrench that will fit on the outboard end of the reamer..........probably use a little WD-40 on the reamer to lubricate and afterwards, you must clean the lubricant off the tapered spindle or tailstock. a good spray-on brake cleaner sprayed on it will do that and wiped with a clean paper towel.

Additional: Michelle is correct in her point below........use a light cut to just take out a burr.........do NOT be aggressive.....if the spindle is real bad, perhaps take it to a machine shop and have experienced machinists repair it.

Michelle Rich
05-24-2012, 6:34 AM
I would be very hesitant to use a reamer in a brand new lathe. I'd use 600-800+++ grit paper and clean both tapers and then my accessories. A scratch is not a deal breaker. Smooth them up and keep the tapers & accessories clean. Watch and see ..I think reaming is way too agressive an approach for a non-machinist, new turner to take.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2012, 9:20 AM
I agree with Michelle - DON'T go overboard on this! Better yet - if you belong to a turning club - have one of the more experienced members stop in and check out the situation. It could be nothing more than normal wear and tear through use!!

Noah Barfield
05-24-2012, 6:34 PM
I agree with Michelle - DON'T go overboard on this! Better yet - if you belong to a turning club - have one of the more experienced members stop in and check out the situation. It could be nothing more than normal wear and tear through use!!

Again, thank you everyone for the replies! Steve, I thought about posting pictures of the headstock and tailstock tapers, but you're right--these are something that should be felt rather than just seen. I will ask around in my turning club. Unfortunately I live about an hour away from the town where the club meets and many of the members live. Who knows, maybe someone will take pity on me and make the trek! :)

Noah