PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to look up previously resolved issues

Bob Landel
05-23-2012, 5:51 PM
I'm still rather new to woodworking and often need help. This happened several months ago when I needed advice on a remote control for my dust collector; a 1 1/2hp delta unit. I melted the plug on a remote I purchase from Rockler and was in the process of welding another plug to the socket of a second unit I reordered.

I posted on Saw mill my problem and received dozens of responses over a period of a couple of weeks. Two guys addressed a meaningful resolution. It was the second guy who directed me to a site written by DENNIS PEACOCK awhile ago. There it was, with pictures no less! A complete write up on how to build a heavy duty remote control unit. This was the answer to my problem!

By the way, I'm thankful for all the responses to my problem by everyone.

However, is there an easy way to look up information without going through what I experienced?

The search tab did nothing for me. Am I missing something or does Saw Mill need a better way to look up technical issues?

It has to be frustrating for the old timers to read over and over again the same problems.

Myk Rian
05-23-2012, 6:17 PM
Searching for +remote +control in advanced search will help narrow it down.
Still, you have to be creative at times. Pick the appropriate forum/s to search.

It still can be a PITA..

Van Huskey
05-23-2012, 6:26 PM
This is not one of the forums that directs people to use the search function everytime someone asks a question that has been answered. I like that because you get new opinions and answers every time something is ask and new info comes out and new members sign up.

As Myk said finding something you KNOW is there is sometimes a pain, finding something you don't know is there can be even harder...

In the end you never have to be afraid to start a thread and ask a question here, if there are good threads in the past on the subject people often let you know that and even give you the link since they might remember something unique enough about theres or someone elses wording to find it easily.

glenn bradley
05-23-2012, 9:23 PM
vBulletin's search engine is by far one of its weakest features. Open a browser and go to Google's search area. Type this in where the search criteria usually goes:

your search words site:sawmillcreek.org

Obviously you would replace "your search words" with the words you are searching for. This puts Google's search engine to work for you on SMC's site.

Your example might be: Dust collector, remote, shop built site:sawmillcreek.org

Which results in this page: http://tinyurl.com/7qbo7oj