PDA

View Full Version : Wilton WW vice(s)

Bruce Volden
05-23-2012, 5:25 PM
Well, I was gifted with two (2) Wilton vices for the price of nothing. They came from an old school shop that no longer teaches woodworking:mad: I brought them home to clean up and check out. They both have 7" jaws with an opening of 9 1/2" (metal to metal) are quite beefy, about 40# apiece. One has a quick release nut that is completely stripped rendering it totally useless. The other is fully functional. They no longer make this quick release nut but I have seen them on flee-bay for around $12.

I'm thinking of having a machine shop check out the useless one---perhaps they make a Heli-coil for a thread this big?? I don't really need the QR function but would like to utilize this vice. I will takes pics if I HAVE TO but, I need to wash the Kroil from my paws first. What do you folks recommend?

Bruce

Biff Johnson
05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Hi Bruce,

We have a ton of Wilton bench vises in our school wood shop and most are in need of repair. I was recently at a tool supplier in town who carries Wilton and he told me they have a lifetime warranty on almost all their vices. You may consider giving them a call. I know Graingers Parts had the screw and jaw pads for my machinist vise.

Bruce Volden
05-24-2012, 6:14 AM
Already been down that road Bill. Seems the lifetime warranty didn't come into being until 2000. I talked with the Wilton Co. (now Jet owned) representative and was told this, so I will continue to explore how to make the one bad vise serviceable. But heck, what can one expect for free??

Bruce