PDA

View Full Version : Burled Sugar Maple Bowl

Ken Glass
05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey All,
Here is a Burled Sugar Maple Bowl that had some nice colourations in it. It is 9' across and 3" tall. It was a Burl Cap I had for awhile and wanted to do something with it. I seem to be stuck curling over the rims of the last few Burl Caps I have done. I'm not sure it adds anything to the piece or not. You be the judge. Anyway, thanks for looking and post any comment you wish.

Tim Rinehart
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Ken, beautiful piece of wood. If I were to suggest anything that I'd change, it would be to soften the flow of the bowl to a nice ogee shape, without any flatness to the form. The rolled over rim is a nice touch, and must have been challenging. I like it, but again, would tie in better with a bit more fluid profile to rest of the bowl.

John Keeton
05-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Ken, that is a beautiful piece of wood! I did one bowl with a downturned rim and decided it didn't do anything for me. There may be a place for them, but for me, they rarely work.

Jim Burr
05-23-2012, 4:34 PM
It is a beautiful chunk of wood Ken! The rim seems to work on this one. At the Natl Park we visit on a regular basis, Sequoia and Yosemite...you see these from cedar on a regular basis in the gift shops. Yours looks better. The rim doesn't always work and avoidance may be the better part of valor in the future...and you keep your knuckles!!

Ken Glass
05-23-2012, 5:18 PM
Jim,
Thanks. I had trouble keeping the rim on when undercutting it and lost a couple pieces and had to glue them back on. I think the general consensus is that they don't usually work, but hey, I never seem to follow the rules anyway. I have sold several similar to this one, so I let the buyer decide what they like and want.

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Ken that is a beauty. Really beautiful wood.

Michelle Rich
05-24-2012, 6:39 AM
pretty wood..the floppy rim adds character.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2012, 9:11 AM
Sure has a lot of character!! Normally - I am not a big fan of rolled over rims but with this bowl - it works! I agree with Tim in softening the sides of the bowl so that everything flows... but as you said - it only takes one person to like it enough to buy it! Good luck with your sales!!

Baxter Smith
05-24-2012, 9:20 PM
Gnarly looking piece of wood Ken! I think this one would be a good one to pick up and hold to get a real feel for it!

Kathy Marshall
05-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Great looking bowl and the wood is awesome Ken! I agree with Tim and Steve and softening the curve in the sides, but it's still a nice piece.