PDA

View Full Version : Mothballing for over a year or just get out

Adam Mufford
05-23-2012, 12:39 AM
So I just got final word that I have to go on a 365 Deployment. The timing sucks as I was just getting in with the units on base as the go to for engraving and one off work.

Anyways, I've been thinking that I don't want my laser sitting for at least a year and that it will not be good for my tube. One of my friends offered to do easy stuff provided I show him how to operate the machine. Only flat stuff and no art work.
The problem is and my biggest fear, I may not even end up back at this base.

What are your thoughts.
Sell the laser and buy a new one when I return?
Sell the whole deal(blower, sand blasting, cutters, materials)
Put everything in storage for a year?

Keep in mind I have a real short time to do whatever I choose.

Thanks guys,
Adam

Gary Hair
05-23-2012, 1:47 AM
First and foremost, thanks!

If you really trust your friend to treat your equipment the way you would then I would go with that option. The only two things that may be problematic are 1 - if he doesn't treat it well, and 2 - what happens if anything breaks? As long as you figure out what to do about those two then it should work out. Selling it all, or just the laser, will be a money-losing proposition, but if you are not sure how to deal with the two problems I mentioned then it may be the better option. I don't think storing the laser would be a good idea but the rest would probably store well.

Last - what in the world are you doing in Pahrump? I have been there several times, Mom and Dad lived there, not much to see...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Gary

Rodne Gold
05-23-2012, 2:40 AM
Sell it , your future is way too uncertain.

Joe Hillmann
05-23-2012, 9:20 AM
I think if you try to sell it quick you will not get close to what you have into it. As far as storing it goes, if it is stored in a dry climate controlled place I don't see why storing it for a year is worse than running it for a year. If storing it for a year does cause problems the problems will most likely be with the tube, before deciding anything I would find out how much a new tube costs or what having the tube recharged costs. That way you can make a more informed decision on what is best for you.

Also have you contacted the manufacture of the laser to see what they suggest as far as storage goes?

Rodne Gold
05-23-2012, 9:53 AM
I don't think he needs do much to store it , it uses either a Synrad or Coherent tube. (probably Synrad cos GCC haven't used coherents for a while)
Just grease or lube any parts that can get corroded, cover well and store in a cool dry place. If you really want to go the whole hog , remove lenses and mirrors , wrap in acid free tissue paper and remove the belts.

Tim Bateson
05-23-2012, 1:31 PM
I agree with Rodne. You won't see much difference in prices year to year and storage - if done right shouldn't bother the laser. If when you return you wish to sell it, you'll still likely get good money for it, probably the same as today.

Joe Hillmann
05-23-2012, 2:28 PM
I just want to point out that the suggestions for storing it all assume you have a good place to store it that doesn't cost to much, I see you are in Nevada, so I assume humidity will be low enough that you won't have to worry about corrosion, but I know my laser says it shouldn't be stored or operated above 100 degrees which may be a problem for you.

Dan Hintz
05-24-2012, 6:49 AM
You can always put the machine itself in storage, but give the laser cartridge itself to a friend/family member for storage in a climate-controlled area. It's relatively small compared to the entire machine.

Mike vonBuelow
05-25-2012, 7:25 AM
Adam,

Check your work email - I may have a solution for you.