PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Stone

David Ripley
04-29-2003, 3:15 PM
Just found this sharpening stone that I had for years I guess. I really don`t know were I got it, anyway on the box it says Craftsman Combintion Sharpening Stone, the stone has two grits and says to use thin oil on it. I`m sorry to say I don`t know much about sharpening other than the basic.Does anyone know a web site that can help me out, or can anyone here give me some info. on sharpening say chisels. Thanks David

Bud Duffy
04-29-2003, 3:44 PM
David a while back i read on here about a sharpining system called Scary Sharp i looked it up and tryed it out works real good my chisels have never cut so good. Go to this web site and read for yourself www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

John Wadsworth
04-29-2003, 5:25 PM
The Museum of Woodworking tools website has a link to a detailed sharpening tutorial using oilstones, taught by my old woodworking teacher, Maurice Fraser:

http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/index.html

Enjoy!

PS: I have nothing against the Scary Sharp system (which uses sandpaper), but you did ask about how to use your oilstone...

David Ripley
04-30-2003, 1:44 PM
Thanks guys, i`ve seen the Scary Sharp System before but the site John gave is what I been looking for. David