PDA

View Full Version : Lacer skew question

Joe McMahon
05-22-2012, 4:49 PM
I have been watching the Alan Lacer skew DVD trying to learn how to properly use a skew chisel. He describes what he likes in a skew and proceeds to use it quite effectively. He also sells them at a hefty price.

Does anyone use one of his skews? Does it work any "better"? Is it worth the steep price?

Thanks, Joe

Gary Max
05-22-2012, 4:57 PM
For my money-----he is the best skew teacher I have meet and I do own one of his BIG skews.

jared herbert
05-22-2012, 5:00 PM
Alan knows what he is talking about. I spent a day with him in his own shop, a private lesson, well worth the money spent. I have one of his big skews and also a small one. They both work better than my other cheaper ones, that are the same width but are lighter duty. I dont regret spending the money for them Jared

George Heatherly
05-22-2012, 5:45 PM
I have one of Lacer's smaller skews that I like a lot, it is my favorite spindle turning tool. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels much better in my hands than any of my other skews.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2012, 6:20 PM
I have one of his skews.........the big one! I use it when I want to do planing cuts on a spindle or to smooth out a spindle blank, and for cutting V grooves and at times making beads............nothing beats that large skew for pummel cuts on a table leg.

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2012, 6:37 PM
I have both of Lacer's skews. They are well worth the money. I watched him do a top at a demo that was 1" by 3/4" with his big skew.

Steve Trauthwein
05-23-2012, 7:16 AM
I have one of his skews also and like it a lot. According to a local professional turner "The first rule of woodturning is, it is not the tool."

Steve

Bob Bergstrom
05-23-2012, 8:24 AM
I went another way. Bought a 1" Crown Pro scraper on sale and reground the tip to a skew. I then rounded the bottom edge and tapered the sides behind the cutting edge back about an inch. This gave me a very stout skew with a tip that allowed me to cut in some tighter areas. I also have made skews from worn out planner blades. Great hard steel.

Mike Peace
05-23-2012, 1:16 PM
I was able to get his big skew on a closeout at a WC store so jumped on it. I use a skew a fair bit and like it. It is a great skew for larger jobs because of the mass - twice the mass of a 1" X 1/4". The mass reduces chatter and vibration. That said, there is a tradeoff on a skew that large in that it can be a bit unwieldy at times on smaller jobs. The difference between a quality skew like Lacer's and one from, say HF, is in the details. The edges are all rounded so it will roll better. You can do all of the grinding to improve a cheaper skew but it takes some effort. I have a number of cheap Chinese HSS tools and some are good and some are crap. You just don't have the quality control that you get with a Sheffield steel tool.

Joe McMahon
05-23-2012, 3:06 PM
Mike, did you say that you got yours at Woodcraft? I didn't know that they carried them. I have a 15% off coupon for this Monday. If they carry them, this will be a no brainer.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2012, 6:19 PM
I have both Lacer skews. They along with my Robert Larsen 3/4" straight skew are my go to tools when spindle turning. The mass of the Lacer's make them incredibly stable and....as per Lacer....sharp...sharp.....sharp.