PDA

View Full Version : What's Good in Louisville?

Christopher Reyes
05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Hello Everyone!

I've been tasked to travel to Louisville, KY for business....and of course I use every opportunity I can get to feed my latest addiction for woodworking. Any must see equipment dealers, shops, showrooms ect?

Not to mention if anyone knows a good bite to eat I am all ears.

~Chris

Mac McQuinn
05-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Fantastic Mexican restaurant by the name of Los Aztecas just down the street from the Louisville Slugger Museum/plant. Address is 530 W. Main, The Carnitas are the best I've had.

Mac

Bryan Slimp
05-22-2012, 2:08 PM
There's a little wood turning outfit that does a lot with Ash. Not sure if they do tours, but it could be pretty cool.

Mac McQuinn
05-22-2012, 2:54 PM
Yes, they do tours and you can't miss the place as there's a huge Baseball bat outside standing tall, about 120' or more and around 9' in diameter.
Mac

There's a little wood turning outfit that does a lot with Ash. Not sure if they do tours, but it could be pretty cool.

Jerome Stanek
05-22-2012, 3:50 PM
There's a good sports bar called the Cardinal right out side of the convention center and Six Flags. I used to do trade shows there and stayed across the street

Bob Rufener
05-22-2012, 8:22 PM
Not woodworking related but I would suggest a trip to Churchhill Downs-the site of the Kentucky Derby. We were there in early April and took a behind the scenes tour of the stand which was very interesting. We were very surprised to see that the jockey locker room looked like something out of 1940-not posh by any stretch of the imagination. The Louisville Slugger trip is interesting to see and only takes about an hour to see the production facilities and the museum.

Dan Bundy
05-23-2012, 6:16 AM
I second the tour of the Louisville Slugger bat factory. Very cool. DB

Charles Wiggins
05-23-2012, 8:38 AM
Food: Lynn's Paradise Cafe (http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/) is an eating experience. LOML and I had breakfast there. They have two items on the breakfast menu that won in the Bobby Flay Thowdown. We ordered both and split them. It's the most I've ever spent on breakfast, but it was worth it. Afterward we drove through the neighborhood across the street and saw an abundance of cool architecture. It was snowing at the time and it was just like driving through Ralphie's neighborhood in A Christmas Story.

Tools: I was told that Bargain Supply (http://www.bargainsupply.com/) was the place to check out, but I never made it over there.

Harry Hagan
05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Choice Woods: (Wood turning supplies)
Hours of Operation
M-F 9-5pm
Saturday 9-3pm
Give them a call to make sure they’re not at a show or sawmill. 888-895-7779

Into Cars?

43rd Annual Street Rod Nationals Plus, August 2 - 5, 2012, at Kentucky Exposition Center

Restaurant: $$$$ (If you’re on an expense account)

Jack Fry’s
The Blind Pig
Seviche

Chinese Restaurant:

Annie Café
August Moon
Café Mimosa

Steakhouse:

Jeff Ruby’s
Pat’s Steakhouse

Sushi:

Sapporo
Oishii Sushi
Sake Blue

Beer Drinker?

New Albanian Brewing Co.

Need a Burger?

Dish on Market

There’s lots of stuff to do in Louisville. Google “Best of Louisville 2011”. A new list is voted on every year.