PDA

View Full Version : Interesting use of a laser

Joe Hillmann
05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Found this interesting use of a laser, although it must have been a yag or fiber to be able to remove the aluminum and not burn the paper below.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/05/scienceshot-disposable-keypads.html?ref=hp

Ernie Balch
05-22-2012, 3:25 PM
I used to do similar work with a diode pumped frequency tripled YAG laser. Being a UV laser it was very easy to engrave micron thick layers without damage to the underlying substrate. Excimer lasers are also fun to work with.

Bruce Boone
05-22-2012, 5:47 PM
Very cool. I'm still learning the ropes of frequency and power and wobble and step over and all the other variables. There's a lot to doing it right. I've seen that the super short pulse lasers can engrave logos into the head of a match because they have such a small heat affected zone! One of the lasers I'm checking into is a pulsed one. It has 600 watts continuous, but has pulses of up to 10kw. That's pretty impressive for stuff coming out of a hair thin fiber!

Joe Hillmann
05-23-2012, 9:22 AM
Bruce,
Is the laser you are looking into for your ring making? Or do you have something else in mind?