PDA

View Full Version : Large Custom Perpetual Plaque Supplier

Liesl Dexheimer
05-22-2012, 9:12 AM
I have a very large potential job and am in need of a supplier who can help with this project.

I have a customer who is looking to have a 7 foot long by 3 1/2 foot high custom perpetual plaque made. The wood needs to be solid walnut approx 3/4" thick. I will need holes drilled to accomodate approx 150 - 200 plates that measure 1 1/2" x 6".

Does anyone know of any custom plaque makers? I know of Kasdorf Mfg but they are all the way out in NM. I was looking for someone along the east coast, would be even better if they were in the northeast. I'm guessing this will probably cost quite a bit of $ to ship. Any suggestions?

Ross Moshinsky
05-22-2012, 9:26 AM
Contact your local wood mill. They should be able to point you in the direction of someone who can help you. It's going to be an expensive piece of wood.

Otherwise http://www.moslowwood.com/ in VA or even Tropar might be able to help you. In the end, I expect your best route will be going with a local wood worker with a CNC machine. I'd lay out all the work for them which will save a lot of money in design fees.

Liesl Dexheimer
05-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of doing all the design work myself. I do have someone I know who is a woodworker but I don't think he has the capability to do this. I would think doing it by hand would be tedious compared to using a CNC machine.

Any ideas as to approx weight for something this size? I guess I'll have to ask whoever can do this that question...

Mike Null
05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I would seriously consider walnut veneer plywood instead of solid walnut.

Liesl Dexheimer
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Hmmm I will consider that as well. I'm basically trying to match what had been done previously (although the plaques that had been done before were 5 feet wide x 3 feet high).

Ross Moshinsky
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I would seriously consider walnut veneer plywood instead of solid walnut.

I was thinking the same as well. You'd have to paint the edges black but it would be far more economical.

If you want solid walnut, a local wood mill would know the various people in the area that could possibly do this kind of work. I'm sure there is someone relatively close by that can do this work. Whether the price will be right is another story. You will absolutely need someone who is a strong wood worker. The job will require laminating multiple pieces of walnut together. Planning the surface. Machining the actual plaque. Then apply the finish. It's not a job for your average wood worker.

Martin Boekers
05-22-2012, 12:12 PM
You may search under donor plaques also as typically larger plaques are made for "donor walls"

Dave Gates
05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Lee's Wood Products, Moslow, and Central Virginia Hardwood do this type of work. We use Central Virginia Hardwood more for large plaques. I would consider going with the veneer to prevent the board from warping.

I usually drill the holes myself to keep cost down. Just make a template and laser the holes into a piece of cheap acrylic or other rigid material. Put your template on the board and drill away.

Neal Schlee
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of doing all the design work myself. I do have someone I know who is a woodworker but I don't think he has the capability to do this. I would think doing it by hand would be tedious compared to using a CNC machine.

Any ideas as to approx weight for something this size? I guess I'll have to ask whoever can do this that question...

Hi Liesl,
I've done quite a few very large perpetual plaques, but being in Alaska can only give advise. Most all I do are made using 3/4" Armour Core Plywood, then we generally frame the ply much like a large picture frame. Armour Core has advantages over using hardwood or standard veneer plywood. It is less prone to warping, it's available in your choice of veneers, it's called armour core because the first veneer layer under the wood veneer is MDF, very flat, no telegrahing that you get with normal veneer ply, and it's stable, less chance of warping or cracking. Makes for easy lasering and/or CNC routing.

When building large solid wood plaques extreme care must be taken on wood selection, grain direction, width of pcs to be glued etc. And even then they can warp, twist, or crack depending on the locations climate. If solid hardwood has to be used we will often frame it much like the veneer amour core. See attached pic of a 32" x 48" Maple Perpetual CNC routed using Armour Core and a solid maple frame, this perp will have sublimated magnetic plates, screw plates are also an option. Most customers like the convenience of the mag plates, although they do add more expense.

Neal
Lasertech Alaska

Mike Null
05-22-2012, 1:02 PM
The plaque should be framed especially if it's plywood. But I would frame it either way.

Liesl Dexheimer
09-10-2012, 3:42 PM
I FINALLY finished this project! Thank you for all the suggestions & comments. I had a friend help me out with this, he supplied the wood board (walnut veneer plywood) & finished it for me. He was also kind enough to drill all the holes by hand (I made an acrylic template with our laser, thank you to Dave Gates for that suggestion). You can view some of his work at this website www.mjfwoodworking.com (http://www.mjfwoodworking.com). I've attached a photo of the final product. You can also view the process here (http://www.liesldexheimerdesign.com/wall_of_healing_process.jpg). The customer was very pleased!

Mike Null
09-10-2012, 6:12 PM
Liesl

Very nice work. Post that picture in your shop.

Liesl Dexheimer
09-11-2012, 4:58 PM
Thank you Mike, already have it printed out & in my photo album in the shop. :)