PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Atkins saw??

steven c newman
05-21-2012, 11:12 PM
This one did some time in the State of Ohio Highway Department. Doesn't look like there ever was a medallion on the handle. Four sawnuts. The "etch" ( looks more like a silk screened) is a double circle. The words "Perfection" and Atkins are showing. 232688 This is after a good cleaning and refinishing. 26" long blade does have a "hanger hole" out on the end. Looks like about a 9ppi tooth count, maybe listed as an "8"? Handle is still the "open top' style. Just a "Plain Jane" saw????:confused: Thumbnail is another saw that was part of the "package of saws I bought. Five saws=$10. Thumbnail is a cheapy, possible "Sandvik" panel saw. Wheat carving was PRESSED into the handle. Hey, at least it was sharp ( from not being used??)

Kim Malmberg
05-22-2012, 5:30 PM
I have learned to realize that I should never be certain about anything, but the cheap saw does not look like a Sandvik to me. I own a god few and I am currently gathering information abut the Sandvik saws, so my hunch is heck no. Even though Sandvik was guilty of making some ugly handles in their later days, all of them had comfortable handles. This one looks like it's going to attack you. :-) Another reason I vote angst Sandvik in this case is that they filed their saws in a certain way typical to them, with deep gullets and high, pointy teeth.

steven c newman
05-22-2012, 6:45 PM
Thumbnail is a cheapo crosscut, came with the other four saws. Package deal..... The "other saw in this post, does have an Atkins "etch" of sorts, might be a silk-screened painted on etch. No evidence of it ever having a medallion. It spent most of it's life working for The ohio State department of highways, division N0. 7. The blade is still VERY sharp, must have "slept"in the truck with the rest of the crew. All I could make out was the name Atkins, and something about Perfection.

Jim Koepke
05-23-2012, 1:37 AM
It spent most of it's life working for The ohio State department of highways, division N0. 7. The blade is still VERY sharp, must have "slept"in the truck with the rest of the crew.

In California the state highways are attended to by CalTrans. For a joke the workers put stickers on the trucks reading, "this truck sleeps 3."

jtk

steven c newman
05-24-2012, 8:58 PM
Handle seems to be a late model. Etch seems to be a silk screened thingy. I tried to straighten the worst of the waves in the plate. Looks better, but some still there. haven't tried to sharpen it. This "Perfection" saw does cut real fast, just leaves a rough cut. Should be alright for Rough carpentry work. Fine Furniture? Ah, ........NOPE. No evidence there was ever a medallion in the handle. Just four nickel-plated sawnuts. Might have to keep it around, doubt I could sell it. Just a $2 saw, anyway....