PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in America Pasadena - Meet & Greet

Curt Putnam
05-21-2012, 9:36 PM
On another handtool forum there is a Meet & greet thread. To summarize, it has been suggested that Thurs eve would be the best day (as opposed to Sun afternoon) at a place TBD but within walking distance of the convention center. About a dozen folks have thus far expressed interest. If you would like to attend you are invited. Anyone having thoughts about day or knowledge of specific places to meet, please pipe up! If you are interested in showing up, please respond in this thread so that we can get an idea of how many folks will be there and therefore congregate at place large or small enough for the number of attendees.

Thanks, Curt

Patrick McCarthy
05-21-2012, 9:48 PM
I am planning on attending and bringing the better half too. I am a few hours north, so can't recommend any locations . . . yet

Brian Kent
05-21-2012, 11:15 PM
How many people would we be talking about? A dozen? A hundred?

Edit: I just saw where there are a dozen or so people who responded.

Shawn Pixley
05-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I am thinking of it. I live about an hour away, so it is a bit of a toss-up whether I would commute or stay down there.

Brian Kent
05-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Meeting together would be even more important to me than the convention itself.

My contacts in Pasadena are all churches. If that's OK, I can look into a room at Pasadena 1st United Methodist, which is about 2 blocks from the convention center. One catch is no alcohol at the church so if you want to have a couple of beers together, we should meet elsewhere or meet first then go somewhere afterwards.

If you want me to look into that, let me know. If you have objections, either because of "no-Alcohol" or in meeting in a religious institution, please feel free to say that here or in a private message.

Brian

Curt Putnam
05-22-2012, 3:47 PM
Hi Brian. At this point, I'm still in the small group, have a couple beers mode. I'd really like to keep within walking distance of the convention center so that the folks who are staying in town don't have to unpark to get there. I've tried to park in Pasadena before. As with Shawn Pixley, my commute is long enough that I'm pondering getting a room. At this point, the number of folks who have said they WILL show up is less than a dozen. Adding in the maybes brings it over a dozen so I don't yet see it as needing the use of a "hall." As time marches on the situation may change.

BTW - Spouses are invited and encouraged to show up too.

Thanks, Curt

Brian Kent
05-22-2012, 4:20 PM
Keep in touch where you choose to get a room and we can go out near there.

Mike Allen1010
05-22-2012, 4:29 PM
Thanks for taking the initiative to put something like this together -- I would love to attend. My schedule is a bit dynamic at the moment, so I can't confirm until we get closer to the actual date, but if at all possible I'll be there.

Thanks again,Mike

Damon Stathatos
05-22-2012, 6:39 PM
I'm an 'Old Pasadena' (old-town-Pasadena) veteran. Ran the family business in Old Town for 27 years. The family business is still there but not me (don't ask). The closest place that would be a good choice is Red White & Bluezz. Not in their main dining room but in their 'back room,' where they have music at night. I think that they have some tables a bit away from the music that might work out. They might be able to set something up outside as well. I know the guys there and I'm sure they'd welcome a group, large or small. They are two blocks from the corner of the Convention Center. Mid-end prices for higher-end food. Well-healed crowd.
http://www.redwhitebluezz.com/

A half-block up the street from Red White & Bluezz is a lower or lowish-end (lowish end for Old Town, that is) English Pub, Lucky Baldwins. They have an outside area set up in a pedestrian alley. Their inside space is a bit cut-up and cramped but might work out if there were under about a dozen people. Prices are just marginally under Red White & Bluezz but it's going to 'feel' cheaper, pub-grub and all. Lowish-end crowd.
http://www.luckybaldwins.com/index.html

About the same distance, on Colorado Blvd., is Barney's Beanery, a satellite of a well-known West Hollywood spot. It's pretty wide-open and would be able to accommodate just about any size crowd. Mid-end prices for lowish-end food. Mid to lowish-end crowd.
http://barneysbeanery.com/

There are more possibilities but all of these are within two to two and one-half blocks from the Convention Center. People are probably going to end up wanting to walk around and further into Old Town so, truthfully, you could probably even pick something 'deeper in' and people probably wouldn't ultimately mind.

I'd be up for meeting fellow SMC'ers. On the few occasions I've been able to meet SMC people, they've all been good experiences. This is actually a pretty unique and special forum where everyone not only has the obvious common interest but also seem to be quite decent above and beyond that common interest. Although being quite the 'home-body' of late, I had the dubious task of picking up 'youngest daughter' from her first year at the University of Arizona recently. I PM'd a few Tucson SMC'ers and had the opportunity to meet up with Bill Wyko at his shop. It's obvious from his posts here that he's one talented son-of-a-gun but seeing his stuff in person was especially impressive. No, actually, awe-inspiring. Even more impressive though was Bill himself, one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. That alone made me realize what a special 'place' this SMC is. And so, in a nutshell, count me in !!

Chuck Nickerson
05-23-2012, 1:10 PM
I'm definitely up for a meet-and-greet. As an 'Old Pasadena' regular, I'll scout locations while I'm there this weekend.

Curt Putnam
05-23-2012, 1:31 PM
Chuck, thanks for volunteering. Damon, thanks for the report. I hadn't thought about food, per se. As I think about it, I guess I'd prefer a more or less stand up affair. I'd like folks to be able to slide around and meet folks, in line with a traditional cocktail party. Food appropriate to that mode would be nice.

Folks, this will not be a 'Creek only crowd. I'm slowly getting the word out to other forums. The world of handtool woodworking is small enough as is.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Any updates on a get together? I'm signed up and attending. It'd be fun to put some faces to those ethereal​ online names . . .

Shawn Pixley
10-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I'd like to get together, but I am finding it hard to do this on Thursday night. This is largely because I have so much work that it is proving difficult to take Friday off. I haven't given up though and still have hopes of meeting up.

Lee Ludden
10-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I will be there all three days, but not getting in until Friday am. I'd be interested in meeting up with any creepers in attendance.

Mike Allen1010
10-09-2012, 4:33 PM
Any update on a time/date/location for getting together at any update on a time/date/location for getting together at Woodworking in America at Pasadena?

I know making arrangements can be a headache, but I would love to get together with some fellow Creekers for a beer, etc. Friday evening works best for me but can do whatever is easiest for the group.

All the best, Mike

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I got an email from the folks at PW (which, of course, I can now not find) that said they were going to meet at Lucky's Bar?? on Saturday night for a meet-n-greet. I'm already signed up for the Gamble House dinner/tour, so I'm out Friday night. I was just planning to go where it is that the meet place is and hopefully run into some of you there. Looking forward to it.

Shawn Pixley
10-11-2012, 12:29 AM
I'll be at WIA on Saturday (gotta work Friday). I may be able to get together Friday night, but Saturday night is out for me. It is my son's birthday & I need to meet in LA for dinner. So I am a weak link in the planning.

Mike Allen1010
10-11-2012, 2:36 PM
I got an email from the folks at PW (which, of course, I can now not find) that said they were going to meet at Lucky's Bar?? on Saturday night for a meet-n-greet. I'm already signed up for the Gamble House dinner/tour, so I'm out Friday night. I was just planning to go where it is that the meet place is and hopefully run into some of you there. Looking forward to it.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the info. I will head for Lucky's Bar Saturday evening and hope I run into you and any of the other Creekers in attendance.

All the best, Mike

Damon Stathatos
10-11-2012, 4:29 PM
I think everyone is referring to 'Lucky Baldwins (http://www.luckybaldwins.com/)' (bar). Just for reference, the address is: 17 South Raymond Avenue (626-795-0652). They're about two blocks from the Pasadena Convention Center towards Old Town.

I'm going to try to make it to Lucky Baldwins on Saturday. I'll be wearing a 'standard issue' blue denim shirt embroidered 'Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling' and probably drinking a Stella...no...make that a Bavik beer. Hope to see some of you there.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Was @ Luck's ~ 7 but I didn't see anyone who resembled a WW'er there (whatever that ​looks like!)