PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo - I'm setting up *my* G0500 - now a question

Dan Oelke
04-01-2005, 9:56 PM
I picked up my Grizzly G0500 8" Jointer from the shipping depot earlier this week. Last night I had class, but tonight the kids and SWMBO are gone so I get to play with my new toy.... errrr - tool that is.

Initial uncrating shows everything to be in good shape. I have the ShopFox base and that leads me to a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. The narrowest the ShopFox base can be adjusted without cutting the rails is about 18.5". The base of the jointer is only about 16.5" wide.

So - should I just cut those rails down? Or is there a different way?
Looking at the one "customer image" on Amazon I can't see both wheels on the ends of the jointer - so does that mean that they are on the back side of the jointer? Does this seem odd to anyone else? Or does that give better stability?

I'm probably fretting over details too much here - but this is my biggest, most expensive, newest, nicest piece o f machinery for me. So, does anyone else here think I'm being obsessive? :D

Thanks, Dan

Jim Becker
04-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Congratulations on your new jointer, Dan. As to your quesiton, I'd probably take the easy route and just fill in the extra 2" with...some wood. Bolting/screwing the tool to the base makes for a more stable setup in the long run, too.

Mike Cutler
04-02-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm with Jim. Center it in the mobile base and screw it down. A slightly larger floor footprint won't hurt anything. And by the way, Congrat's on your new toy...err tool. I know the picture's are soon to follow, lest the Pic's Police getcha :eek:
It's a nice machine, and it'll be just great for you.

Dan Forman
04-02-2005, 4:16 AM
Dan---Enjoy your new jointer!

Dan

Tim Morton
04-02-2005, 6:39 AM
'grats on the new toy...err I mean tool!! :D
I went against the tide and cut the legs on my shopfox base. I wanted it tight to the base for a more custom look. My jointer is plenty stable and it took about 20 minutes to cut and assemble. My PM jointer base was 21w x 17d...if your's is only 16.5w...how deep is it? That may change my advice.

Ted Shrader
04-02-2005, 7:33 AM
Dan -
Congratulations on the new arrival. As the others have said, a little bigger footprint on the floor won't hurt - as long as it is not a trip hazard. Put the base together and fire it up!

A ,ore detailed review is coming when you get it all set up??? With pics, of course. :) ;)

Ted

Ted

Russ Massery
04-02-2005, 9:06 AM
I have the 1023SL and bought the shop fox base as well. Same problem I went Jim solution. I cut a couple of strips of wood on either side of the unit,then painted them black to match the bottom of the saw.

JayStPeter
04-02-2005, 9:39 AM
Same problem here. I just jammed some wood in the corners. Not pretty, but works.

Jay

Larry Crim
04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Dan

I had the same ? when doing mine and if I remember right there were tabs on the bottom of the jointer so I slipped them under the rails and fit it tight against the base and there was no movment at all and did not need to use wood or cut the rails.
Good luck
Larry

Christopher Stahl
04-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Dan,
I have the same setup. When you put the base together, the length of the base will fit very tight in the Shop Fox base if you use the correct holes. With depth, I left an inch on both sides and didn't put anything in to fill it. It fits so snug length-wise, it doesn't move. This way you keep the larger wheelbase, and you won't have any problems.

Have fun with the new toy,
chris

Dan Oelke
04-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Thanks guys for all the help. I put the base together, and cut the rails down width wise. I found that the one bolt location comes out to a width of about 16.5" and the base is actually about 16.75" wide. So I had to back off one bolt hole, which gives me about a strong 1/4" gap on either side. Not a big deal.

For those who have the same setup (Chris - help?). I tried to make the length of the mobile base, just fit the length of the jointer base. I figured that the little tabs that are there to bolt it to the floor would go right under the rails. Unfortuantely, I can't seem to get that to work. They slide. under the smaller center rail, but even with a little bending they won't go under the bigger rails that form the corners. Here is a somewhat blurry picture showing how far I can get it. Any ideas?

http://www.oelke.com/people/dan/JointerBase-1.jpg

Below is a picture of the whole thing (gotta keep the police happy!)

With beautiful weather I spent some time outside and had some papers to grade for the night class I teach. So, I didn't get much time to spend on it. Just put the base together, and got the motor wired (but no plug on it yet). I still have to clean up the shipping grease/wax. With the way my schedule looks - maybe by next weekend I'll be able to actually get it cutting wood.

http://www.oelke.com/people/dan/G0500Jointer-1.jpg

Christopher Stahl
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Dan,
I believe that is exactly how my is sitting in the base. I'll have to double check when I get home this evening. The tabs are locked under the smaller rails.

chris

Dan Oelke
04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks Chris - if you can double check I'd appreciate it. My problem is that photo shows about as far as it will go - probably no more than 1/4" of the tab gets under the crossbar. Unfortunately, the taps in the side rails work out such that it slides a little from end to end and that 1/4" underlap doesn't stay in place.