PDA

View Full Version : How would you use Corel Draw to produce vectors to cut out text?

John Edgerton
05-21-2012, 4:00 PM
I know this has to be a newbie question but I'm struggling with it. If I wanted to cut out a stencil in something like 1/8" plywood, how would I produce the necessary vectors to get the laser to cut them out? I know I'm going to feel stupid when someone points out the button to use but so far, I'm stumped. I use Corel X4 if that helps or hurts.

John

Jeff Belany
05-21-2012, 4:50 PM
With True Type fonts, just click on the 'no fill' (the box with the X just above black on the palette) then go the pen tool and add a hairline. That will cut out your letters. Remember that some letters centers will fall out (like 'O') -- check out stencil fonts, there are lots out there.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-21-2012, 4:54 PM
It all depends upon what text & font you are using, but for basic cuts, convert the text to curves and add a hairline to the selected item. If you do a search on stencil and vector in this forum, you should find several threads on this very same topic.

Martin Boekers
05-21-2012, 5:12 PM
I do letters all the time out of black acrylic for businesses, a good money maker. Though I'd
pass that on as your working with letters. Check some YouTube videos for using the shaping tools
if you want to "weld" a base to the text so it can stand.

John Edgerton
05-21-2012, 10:07 PM
With True Type fonts, just click on the 'no fill' (the box with the X just above black on the palette) then go the pen tool and add a hairline. That will cut out your letters. Remember that some letters centers will fall out (like 'O') -- check out stencil fonts, there are lots out there.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Jeff,

Thanks, that works very nicely! I also found some good stencil fonts as well. Wow, so many fonts out there!

John