PDA

View Full Version : Elm Lidded Box

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 3:11 PM
This little elm box is for the upcoming demo as well. The elm had an unseen void in it that created a strip of tear out.......[think long big chunk] that was discovered only when cutting the final shape...........so the sides are not as nice a curve as I would like because of the thinness of the opening at the wall.........[really thin] so I had to leave just a little in the area or else blow the whole turning and lose the piece of elm to perhaps a pen blank. :(

Size is 2 inches wide at the base and 4-1/8th tall.

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 3:24 PM
This was also a teaching session for a fairly new turner who came over to watch..........I offered to let him have a go at it, but he declined to pick up the tools...........he is turning on a Jet 12/36 and has a few small things......spindle type that he has done so far.

My focus was divided somewhat because it was teaching as well....explaining every step and the reasons for doing this ......I look at this now and realize the proportions are a little out of balance.........the lid section should be a little shorter to get the 2/3rds correct, but this one is just to show a style and not to win any beauty contest.

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 3:47 PM
Here is the whole gaggle to date......I think I have one or two more and that is it for this box series.

232661 Rick Markham asked me to post a pic of them all together, so ............:)

Jeremy Leasure
05-21-2012, 4:18 PM
I really like the shapes on these, nice work.

charlie knighton
05-21-2012, 4:40 PM
very nice Roger, i think i like this last elm one the most

Ed Morgano
05-21-2012, 4:46 PM
Here is the whole gaggle to date......I think I have one or two more and that is it for this box series.

232661 Rick Markham asked me to post a pic of them all together, so ............:)

Roger,
I really like these pieces. I'm doing a demo this weekend at a Festival and one of the things I'm going to do is some small lidded boxes. I'm also going to turn some goblets and finials for some forms that I already have done. I'm trying to get things that won't make too much of a mess with the shavings. Anyway, your boxes have given me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Rick Markham
05-21-2012, 5:48 PM
Those are really super cool Roger. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite of the bunch, maybe the second one from the left in the front. I kind of really like the unseen void in this new one, it really adds character to the simple form, which is very nice even if you lost some of the curve. I think passing those around while you do the demo is a really neat idea. Looks like a good gaggle to me :D

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 6:53 PM
Rick,

I am thinking about a flat style mahogany next..........I think I will have to use a glue block to mount it..........I have a piece of kiln dried mahogany that has been itching to become something useful for over 6 years...........I think it will get its turn soon!

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 7:06 PM
Roger,
I really like these pieces. I'm doing a demo this weekend at a Festival and one of the things I'm going to do is some small lidded boxes. I'm also going to turn some goblets and finials for some forms that I already have done. I'm trying to get things that won't make too much of a mess with the shavings. Anyway, your boxes have given me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with your demo, Ed.........you do nice work, so it should go well!

John Keeton
05-21-2012, 8:04 PM
Roger, are you starting to feel "boxed in!!!":D I think you have this process downpat.

Steve Vaughan
05-21-2012, 8:25 PM
I like the whole gagle of 'em. Really nice little boxes there Roger!

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2012, 8:42 PM
Super looking boxes Roger. By golly I think you've got it.:D

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 8:47 PM
Roger, are you starting to feel "boxed in!!!":D I think you have this process downpat.

I am just a little aggravated at this last one John.......with the long chunk that came out, it changed the diameter of the box and to me it looks out of proportion........too skinny for its height and then with the divided focus I missed the lid proportions by probably 3/8 to 1/2 inch..........

Do you remember my almost disgust with "Gnarly Sophisticate?" I went in to that one with high expectations and the voids in the wood just deflated everything I had hoped for that cherry burl............well this one "chunked off" on me and it messed up the whole design that I had in mind and I did not recover as well as I should...........I barely got to salvage it, but in the grand scheme of things this is a pretty small issue...........still ticks me off though!!! :mad::mad::eek::D:D:)

Maybe not so down pat quite yet.......but thanks for the encouragement..........I need it today and a good shoulder to cry on! :D

Pardon me please........ I think my type AAAAAA is coming out! :D

David DeCristoforo
05-21-2012, 10:07 PM
This is one instance where the inclusion is a detriment. Even though you are dissatisfied with it, I really like the subtle inward curve of this box. The "clean side" looks great.

Roger Chandler
05-21-2012, 10:20 PM
This is one instance where the inclusion is a detriment. Even though you are dissatisfied with it, I really like the subtle inward curve of this box. The "clean side" looks great.

Thanks David........it would have been better with the original proportions I had in mind.....I lost probably a good 5/8 inch in thickness on this form because of that inclusion, which would have allowed me to have a better overall look and a much more refined curve rather than the bump in it where the lid goes on. If you will look at the lid picture, you will see how very thin that is on the lid..........if I had gone any further, it would have totally ruined the lid!

Baxter Smith
05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice group of boxes Roger. The shape of your last one is my favorite though.

Roger Chandler
05-22-2012, 7:25 AM
Nice group of boxes Roger. The shape of your last one is my favorite though.

Thanks Baxter........This one would look better in my opinion if I had altered the shape of the top to a flatter design with a small dome instead of a point...........design on the fly.........that doesn't give one much time to think about what might look the best once an opportunity presents itself because of unexpected issues with the wood. Oh well, live and learn [hopefully!]