PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt track saw dust adaptor tip

Rick Potter
05-21-2012, 1:04 PM
Recently got that super deal on the DeWalt track saw. My only gripe is the size of the dust outlet. It didn't fit any of the three hoses I have (PC sander, Shop Vac 12' 1 1/2 hose kit, and Shop Vac 18' hose from my wall mounted unit). I have three big boxes of DC and shop vac fittings and adaptors, and none fit.

Bought a '2 1/2" Multi-Step Adaptor' at Rockler yesterday. It is the flexible rubber one with a large end that goes on your large Shop Vac hose, flange with four holes, and four steps, going down in size. The two center steps fit the track saw, and adapt to every hose I have, some using the inside, some the outside of the two steps.

I cut off (bandsaw) at the flange, leaving the flange/2 1/2" part in one piece. I then cut off the smaller two steps right at the shoulder. This leaves the center two steps, which is what you use. Note that there is a ridge on the inside of the larger step...leave it there. Also leave the big ridge on the inside of the flange. Now, the larger step fits on the saw outlet, and the hoses fit either inside or outside of the smaller step. One of my hoses slides right past the smaller step and fits the outside of the larger one.

The only hose I have that won't fit this setup is the standard larger shop vac fitting. For this one you use the large piece you cut off in the beginning. Note the large ridge on the inside at the flange? Do not remove it. Slide this piece, flange down, over the adaptor you put on the saw, and slip the shop vac hose fitting into the other side. Done.

I hope this is explanatory. I am not good at pictures.

Rick Potter

PS: When I am King, there will only be standard sizes of outlets on tools. The engineer that insists that a tool needs an outlet 1 23/32 rather than 1 3/4 will be bannished to a land where there are only SAE bolts and metric nuts. This goes for oil and air filters also.

frank shic
05-21-2012, 2:09 PM
one of my ridgid vac hoses fit perfectly. i'll have to check on the dimensions for you later today. i have nonstandardization as well, rick :)

Dan Friedrichs
05-21-2012, 2:23 PM
I found that my Festool hose fits perfectly INSIDE the DeWalt fitting. Not as snug as something around the outside, though.

frank shic
05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
ok, i was wrong... the hose that i've hooked up to the ridged 22.5 liter vac has a 1 1/4" outlet on one end and 2 1/4" on the other end. for the life of me i can't remember where i got it! it had to be either home depot or rockler's.... or maybe i ordered it online and totally forgot about it! good luck...

Rick Potter
05-22-2012, 2:57 AM
Thanks guys, but I'm golden. Just posted that to help others out. My setup works great.

Rick Potter

frank shic
05-22-2012, 9:55 AM
coolness! now go out there and cut something ;)