PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-21-2012, 8:49 AM
21 May 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
This week is also short and sweet. :)
Spent the last part of last week and this entire weekend participating and attending various high school graduations for home school friends. Seems strange that the "young kids" we once knew are now grown and now....graduated from high school. With that said....I wish every graduate in 2012 a blessed and prosperous life ahead.

I'm tired and I want to just lay around today...but now I have to get to work.... :)

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
05-21-2012, 9:10 AM
Went and picked up all the plants for the garden, a couple flats of perennials, and a couple flats of annuals. Got the garden planted and helped LOML plant some of the perennials. Powerwashed the bed of my truck (dust in the Line-X makes it look pretty shabby after a while but a power washing makes it new again) as well as the tractor and Mule. Powerwashing the equipment usually ends up with me being soaked and dirtier than the equipment started out!

Sunday a little more yard work then I finished up fabricating the crane for my front end loader and primed it. Then fabricated two hitches for the zero turn mowers like I bought which I'm giving to my dealer to try out. I told him I don't want to get in the business of making them but I'd make him a prototype and if he likes it he can find someone to fabricate them. Someone with a water jet or CNC laser cutter, or even a CNC plasma cutter could crank these out by the 100's in no time flat. Later in the afternoon I headed over to my parents' house. My mom and I worked on cleaning up my dad's shop. He hasn't been out there in years for health reasons and its a scary mess. We filled three trash cans with trash and created a big pile of stuff to be hauled to a metal recycler. And we barely made a dent.

Planning to finish up painting the tractor crane then getting started milling stock for wainscotting and maybe even some cabinetry for the laundry room this week.

David Hostetler
05-21-2012, 9:56 AM
Had a particularly lazy weekend. Spent a little teeny tiny bit of time working on priming / painting the shelves for the main bathroom. My plan is to have them fully coated in primer and paint before they get installed. All the way around, not installed then primed leaving the areas a brush or roller can't get to uncoated. The problem I ran into was moisture got in there, wicked into the wood, and mildew started...

Prepped the 2x4s I am using for my clamp cart (face and edge jointed, planed, not ripped yet...) so that the eventual dimension will be 1" x 3". Working the angles and I think I have it set. Got the base done. Simple 36" wide b 24" deep 3/4" ply. Added a 3" tall lip of 1/2" ply all the way around, and caster cleats of 3/4" thick x 24" wide x 4" deep ply for the casters. Casters are not mounted yet as I still need the hardware... I am planning on 3/8" x 1.5" bolts, which I will drive into tee nuts in the base. This way I keep the bottom shelf of the base fairly clear of obstruction.

The driving force behind the addition of a clamp cart has been recent additions of ratcheting bar clamps. Yes they are the HF cheapies. And yes I know they are prone to breaking at the pivot for the handle. I have seen the fix, it's fairly simple and straight forward, so with the coupon, at $1.99 each for a 12" clamp I figured I couldn't go too wrong..

About the only other productive things I did this weekend were helping LOML out with laundry, and mowing / edging the front lawn...

Aside from that, I was really lazy this weekend, and it felt good..

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Saturday I spent repairing and installing some new lighting in the shed attached to our carport. Sunday afternoon, we moved the entertainment center I built for my wife from the shop into the house and I spent the afternoon installing drawers, sliding shelves and doors on it. Late evening got a call from one son with family photos...another son called with plumbing problems. I will be installing a shower valve for him today.

Jack Wilson50
05-21-2012, 1:45 PM
Went to my daughter's college graduation Saturday. Sunday I built the mobile base for my new 22-44 OSC and assembled the sander on top of it.

daniel lane
05-21-2012, 1:54 PM
Friday and Saturday I finished and glued up all of the carcase parts for a little 'medicine shelf' that I'm making for the kids' bathroom. I call it a shelf because I'm not making a face frame or putting a door on it, but there will be a small drawer in the bottom. Sunday I spent planing, cutting and shiplapping the planks for the back, now I just have to find time to finish it, attach the back, make the drawer, finish the drawer, hang it... :rolleyes: Finishing this one will be tricky, as it is my first furniture piece with a clear finish. (I've made several items that were painted, which hides a lot of mistakes!) Gotta stain and finish the cherry carcase without blotching, and get a good finish on the maple back with minimal yellowing! Doing lots of reading...

Shawn Pixley
05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Friday, came home from work with a migraine. Saturday, spent the morning with the puppy at the dog park. The puppy's socialization is going well. Then went and picked out walnut lumber for the carcass on my project. Did house errands on Sunday. So slow weekend!

Larry Anderson
05-22-2012, 1:39 PM
Watched the eclipse through my Coronado PST solar scope...really awesome!